just bought 8 cherry barbs... 4 are prego

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by monkeypie102, Aug 31, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So i seem to have the darnest luck lately buying live thing that are pregnate(forgive me for misspelling that word every time) today I decided to start buying the fish and plants to stock my tank so i bought 4 otos ( I asked for 3 but she fished out 4), 3 black neon tetra (I plan to buy a few more), and i bought them out of their chery barbs 8 of them. Now 7 of the barbs were female and 4 from what I could tell were pregnate.

Now how do I setup a nursery for them? What size tank would be needed? My only other tank is being occupied by a sick betta so I'll have to buy more tomorrow...

PS. The fish were all on sale lol I was estatic that the fish i wanted were cheaper! The CB were 1.00 the black tetra were 2.35 (not on sale) and the otos were 1.30!!! Oh and my brother wanted guppies and balloon mollies for his tank all 1.00 each I had save 24.00 today!

2. catsma_97504

catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +177
    Sounds like you had quite the haul today!

Cherry Barbs are egglayers; your females are not pregnant. If you want to attempt to raise their young, you'd need to keep them in a separate tank.

When they spawn the male and female will do very tight summersaults around each other. Often the female will be turned upside down while the male wraps around her. I believe this action will help to expel the eggs. Then, he will fertilize them and they fall to the bottom.

For egg scatterers, I usually keep both sexes in a tank with large glass marbles or beads. Something large enough that the eggs can fall through; yet not so large that the adults can work their way down to eat the eggs.

After a month or so, remove all adults. In about a week you should see tiny fry begin to move about.

Good luck attempting to breed them.

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Awesome thanks for letting me know, I feel dumb now. The females are huge though and i have no plans to breed them. I just loved the way the cherry barbs and black tetra complement each other... but I'll keep this in mind for if i do ever plan to breed...

Oh one question though... instead of marbles/pebbles would having a sand bottom with patches of microsword, dwarf hair grass, and various mosses work as well? I think breeding my be inevidable one day so better to be prepared.

4. catsma_97504

Ratings:
    +177
    The eggs may fall to the base of the plants, but as everything sits on top of the sand, the fish will find the eggs or the wrigglers after they hatch and eat them.

5. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Oh okay thanks for the heads up :)

6. catsma_97504

Ratings: