Just Because - Aquascaping

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Silister Trench, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Silister Trench

Silister TrenchWell Known MemberMember

I think only those of us who dabble in aquascaping would get excited when someone brings us what is essentially a dead piece of wood they found along the shore, or driftwood. Wait! I take that back! Only an Aquascaper and a dog would get excited over a piece of wood. I finally used some pieces my girl found last month, and really for no other reason than just because -

43631e6d081692cc259d542a01c9ec36.jpg

2. Theshrimptankdluxe

TheshrimptankdluxeValued MemberMember

Very nice aquascape. Probably the hardest decision ever to know how and where to position these piece of dead woood.

3. niklevNew MemberMember

When finding drift/dead wood, do you have to treat it with anything? Or just let is soak for a few days?

4. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

I love how you tied together the two sides, otherwise it would seem like two seperate scapes.

5. OP
    OP
    Silister Trench

I boil it to kill bacteria and micro organisms. If the piece is too big for that then I scrub it with a bleach/water solution and soak it thereafter

Thanks! That was really a very hard problem with the wood on the right! And I'm happy to hear it blends when looked at.

The majority of the time you'd be 100% right. These pieces just seemed to work very well together!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017
  6. BluMan1914

BluMan1914Well Known MemberMember

Love the scapes that you do.
    Nice job as usual.

7. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorldWell Known MemberMember

Loved the new scape :)

8. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

This may become my new favorite :)

9. Culprit

Are you trying to make it that almost gloomy look? With very few plants and very well placed shadows?

10. OP
    OP
    Silister Trench

Not exactly!

You see, I had just laid it in there the day before, so my lighting was pushed to the backside, which allowed me to situate rocks and such in there, and I didn't move it for that picture. It's not as gloomy now with the light moved. The lack of plants is because there's not much substrate so nothing can be planted in it, and I haven't moved rhizome plants over.

11. OP
    OP
    Silister Trench

So I realized I never mentioned the $20 stand I made for this tank after cleaning it, and then moving it.

6a34f75ecd5de17e889643f5ab710887.jpg

I used 2 x 3 that are glued together and then fastened to hold with 3 inch torque screws. As you can probably tell it's not a cabinet, but a simple shelf I painted in my ADA grey color and stained.

8b623f605f7d048593cfb486264f41b5.jpg

There's a view a bet very few of us have ever seen. There's just the finest layer of sand in this tank. You can literally watch the Cory's poking around from the bottom.

66c81019bfb36106569bda104bcf4cc7.jpg

d7b10e34fcb6dc81218a7f4f9e6ad751.jpg

Anyone for Val soup?

12. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Lol, was wondering what was in the bucket!
    My 40b stand has a similar bottom, but with 3 inches of substrate... amazing to see all the roots spreading along the glass though!

So.... when are you moving to nj to remove rims off tanks/build stands for me?!?!?! ;)

13. OP
    OP
    Silister Trench

As soon as we can come up with a business idea, so we can both make a living playing in tanks!

14. OP
    OP
    Silister Trench

Here's another just because setup. Needed a hospital tank for my Betta, and when I dug out an old tank and filter I found a piece of driftwood I'd found a long time ago + the first and only stone I've ever bought only, which is seiryu. I decided if Kieth, my moody little friend was going to need different housing, we could take 20 minutes to make it coolish.

Just rocks and one piece of wood - no substrate. HOB filter I hope stile works and a stingray clip with a few burned out LEDs. I just figured if I was setting it up for a while I might as well make it interesting, since it's only place is in my fish room.

8a22dfeefb06fa226d8655918f446865.jpg

d181bd2607d26193f499cadcc6f4f8f4.jpg

Top shelf -

0ecb6d3550f0d4ec3b9d9e053addd3c7.jpg

15. Culprit

Not even sand? Are you going to plant it?

Both looks good.

16. OP
    OP
    Silister Trench

Nope, not even sand. Don't have any at the moment, nor would i if this was strictly a hospital tank. Haha!

Once the Beta is all fixed I may do it the right way since it's all hooked up. I'm either going to Aquascape it for real, make it a planted only tank, or just an experimental tank to put plants I find on the river in or.... maybe just an emersed only garden BUT before any of that happens I'll need to make a shelf for it to sit on higher up on this stand because there's a huge flaw in where it sits now... I can't siphon it on the floor!

17. BluMan1914

BluMan1914Well Known MemberMember

Silister...I may have to have you and @Lchi87 come and scape my tanks. You doing the background and Lchi87 doing the scaping. Best of both worlds.

18. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Very Nice, upload_2017-7-15_23-10-11.jpeg
    and I am having a dilemma with scaping my new 10 gal planted shrimp tank.

19. swtmudpie

swtmudpieValued MemberMember

Very cool looking!

What are the rocks you're using in the bigger tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice