Just... alien plakat bettas?

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
20190928_135624.jpg
20190928_135719.jpg

Saw these 2 in my LFS advertised as "alien plakats." I was almost thinking of taking 1 home til I saw the price... $80 apiece

I guess if you were a breeder and could break even by selling the babies, sure... For all I know this is a standard price for special designer plakats. But I kinda get the feeling unless they catch the eye of a breeder they're gonna stay stuck in those wine glasses.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They are pretty cool. This video probably helped stores sell them

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Makes sense why alien bettas are expensive. I believe that they're a new breed of betta and one that you don't find too often. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the alien betta is a cross between B. splendens and B. mahachaiensis. Again, I'm not 100% sure.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are quite beautiful.....but they certainly deserve to be in large, proper aquariums where they can be able to swim freely, hide and play around plants & stones etc and behave more naturally. They might well be valuable but that is still not a justification for holding them effectively hostage in tiny containers just so that they can be stared at by humans 24/7

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That green one would look fantastic in a planted tank ugh hes gorgeous! Id fork out $80 for him lol just imagine him in a densely planted tank...

I wonder if theyd be hardier than most of the usual overbred varieties?

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It would be expected that they're expensive. They are hybrids of the domestic betta with wild type bettas which makes their bloodline valuable. The rarity of them also drives up their price.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The blue one looks best but both are awesome. Do note that a lot of bettas can change colour over time. My koi is also changing colours.

all 3 of my bettas added up to $110 Canadian bucks. Spending a little more to rescue them goes a long way. It still rubs me the wrong way that even the most beautiful betta can get abused. I'd appreciate it if you did rescue both. Who knows about how their lives will unfold from here... I'm just a sucker for beautiful bettas.

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The blue one looks best but both are awesome. Do note that a lot of bettas can change colour over time. My koi is also changing colours.

all 3 of my bettas added up to $110 Canadian bucks. Spending a little more to rescue them goes a long way. It still rubs me the wrong way that even the most beautiful betta can get abused. I'd appreciate it if you did rescue both. Who knows about how their lives will unfold from here... I'm just a sucker for beautiful bettas.
I'd take em if I wasn't busy with school, had a wad of cash and no idea what to spend on, and 2 separate cycled tanks free of betta-incompatible stock waiting at home. I do prefer plakats and other short finned types over typical bettas... good to know the store wasn't trying to gouge with the price.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very cool fish !
Love the three g tanks ! The proportions are awesome[3.27 g to be exact if Deep Blue] ..
I have a couple maybe more then 2...:p

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised what people fork out for 'premium' fish after a good sales pitch. It works exactly the same with dogs, and I presume most of pet breeding scenes. The fad of the day is selling crosses for 'health' reasons when they aren't actually getting any healthier because breeders get tempted by the big $$$ and cut corners where ever they can. Just my experience with this kind of fad.

Also just gotta love how an amature hobbyist mixing wild and or domesticated types is ruining the perfect (totally linebred) lines but when a 'pro' does it it produces $100 fish that everyone wants to buy.

I'm being too cynical aren't I? xD I just have bad experience with this sort of thing. Personally I don't get all the hate marbles get (other than from frustrated breeders), I actually really really love the idea of a fish that changes colour over time, how is that not unique?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Upon a small search it would seem $80 reasonable if they are in your locality .
They are offered on AquaBid but all come from Thailand or some location needing a trans shipper and import tax..
Those fish are starting at $55 without any of the extras ...

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, seems like I was right. Two weeks later and they're still in the same cups I saw em in last time. The blue one doesn't seem to be doing so great either, he's a little sluggish and his fins are clamped.

While the visible signs of stress make me feel pretty sorry for the thing, it makes that high price even more off-putting. I don't really have the kind of spending money where I'd feel comfortable throwing nearly $100 for a single fish that isn't in the best of health.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, seems like I was right. Two weeks later and they're still in the same cups I saw em in last time. The blue one doesn't seem to be doing so great either, he's a little sluggish and his fins are clamped.

While the visible signs of stress make me feel pretty sorry for the thing, it makes that high price even more off-putting. I don't really have the kind of spending money where I'd feel comfortable throwing nearly $100 for a single fish that isn't in the best of health.
That's just sad.
On top of it being sad, it is also incredibly dumb as they end up becoming worthless if don't get priced down soon. Makes me wonder how much the store paid for them..

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There were some nice looking Aliens at the Aquatic Experience yesterday ..
Maybe $40 and up ,but mostly around $60 I think .
They were good looking fish ..

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Sometimes they don’t feed their bettas I think. I'd ask the pet store to know about that though. To a lot of stores with bettas, no matter their value have no regard for them. There are some betta rescue groups online if one searches for "rescue bettas for sale" you'll find them. I suggest looking into that in order to rescue the poor things.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't pay $10 for one. They look like glorified minnows to me. I'll stick with the Splendens.

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of those two in the OP. They look more like regular fish than some sort of swimming aquatic decoration.

I personally think Betta breeding has sort of gone off the rails with all the in-breeding and such.

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's just sad.
On top of it being sad, it is also incredibly dumb as they end up becoming worthless if don't get priced down soon. Makes me wonder how much the store paid for them..
I was kind of considering asking if the price was negotiable but I got the vibe that it wasn't... most folks don't care for hagglers anyways. But you would think they'd want to at least mitigate the loss rather than stick to the price, let the thing get sick and die, and make no money at all.

I wouldn't pay $10 for one. They look like glorified minnows to me. I'll stick with the Splendens.
I get that, compared to the fancy finned things they look pretty underwhelming. Though, just for me, between the tearing, tail biting, fin rot, and the fact that they're mostly dead weight on the fish, those fancy fins often seem like they're more trouble than they're worth.

I really like the look of those two in the OP. They look more like regular fish than some sort of swimming aquatic decoration.

I personally think Betta breeding has sort of gone off the rails with all the in-breeding and such.
Yeah, and the short life expectancy of fancier fin varieties and various horrifying deformities like blindness caused by scales covering the eyes is especially off-putting. The more delicate nature of these overbred bettas is especially bad when coupled with the usual mistakes that big box stores perpetuate: unheated and unfiltered tanks, tiny quart-sized bowls, changing the water only once a month or less. It's just not good.

While they aren't as weird-looking as splendens I've heard hybrid plakats have fun personalities. You know, getting excited for food and flaring a lot, that sort of thing. My favorite betta I owned was a somewhat ugly peach-colored veiltail who made up what he lacked in looks with a lively, vivacious attitude, thrashing around if I just approached the tank. I hope to own more fish like that in the future.

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
My experience is that price is not usually negotiable when they first show up. You will have to wait a month or more generally before they will talk price. It's always worthwhile to express your interest though....

The fact that two $80 fish were still in bowls rather than in real tanks says something. I doubt you would see an expensive discus treated the same way at the store.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom