Just Added Ammonia

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Matthiasfanu, Apr 24, 2017.

1. M

Matthiasfanu Valued Member Member

As the title suggests I just added my first dose of ammonia for my fishless cycle. How long should I wait before a test for ammonia?

2. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

You can test immediately

3. OP
    OP
    M

Here are my results. What ppm is this??

Attached Files:

4. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Looks to be around 3-4ppm.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Perfect! Was aiming for 3

6. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

I'd say closer to 4.

7. OP
    OP
    M

I used 4.25 ml. What should I use to get it closer to 3?

8. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Is that your first dose? I should shoot for closer to 2ppm, the ammonia can actually get high enough it will slow/stall your cycle. Check out this awesome calculator to help you determine what you need ahead of time for your next dose to hit whatever target you want :D

9. OP
    OP
    M

I actually used this calculator. Guess it was off

10. Bizarro252

Do you know the exact concentration of your source ammonia? Mine said 10% right on the bottle. That calculator I posed I just used 2 weeks ago and it was perfect :p Maybe input your numbers into both and see if it changes the number (leave salinity at zero on the one I posted for freshwater)

Hopefully a stupid question that you already have covered, but you are using a known ammonia that is pure, right? no smells or coloring, soaps etc? If you give the bottle a good shake it should not foam at all.

11. OP
    OP
    M

I'm using ace hardware janitorial strength. Says 10% right on the bottle

12. Bizarro252

Perfect, thats exactly the stuff I used after searching everywhere for it, I found many sources confirming it was safe for this purpose :) (It freaking stinks though huh? lol)

I just ran both on 55gal and my posted calc says 2.18ml and yours says 2.08 for 1ppm in 55gal, weird. I measured using a pipette and it came out right on the money.

Remember to knock a bit off your gallons, a 55gal tank for example doesnt have 55gal of water in it unless its filled to the brim (and even then some 55gal tanks are not even 55 at all...) best to measure and do a volume calculation.

13. OP
    OP
    M

My tank measurements have it set at 37.4 gallons. When I use your calculator it tells me 2.96 ml to bring it to 2ppm. What would you suggest I dose next time?

14. Bizarro252

They both were so close when I ran them to the same gallon I dont think it matters which you use, I think it may matter more what device you are using to measure. Such a small amount is easy to be way off on :) I had pipettes laying around because I am weird, but a syringe or something (from a pharmacy) would work too and be very accurate.

OH! and your water could have chloramines in it, so when you add something like prime to get rid of chlorine the ammonia is released into the water, could explain it being a little higher than you expected. You can test by treting some tap with prime and checking it with your API kit.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    M

I dosed prime and then let it sit for 24 hours so it wouldn't kill the ammonia

16. Bizarro252

Prime will not interrupt your bacterias ability to consume the ammonia, it just temporarily locks it up by converting it (up to 1ppm at a standard dose) to ammonium. BB can still eat ammonium, it is now just not toxuc to fish, this effect wears off after 24-48 hours however.

I meant your tap water could have additional ammonia in it besides what you are manually dosing if it contained chloramines.

17. OP
    OP
    M

I need to test my tap water when I get home then

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice