Just Added 2 Bolivian Rams To A Newly Cycled 55gal And About To Lose One Of Them - Help!

1. B

BolognaBopper Valued Member Member

So last week my 55gal was finished cycling and I added some BA Tetras and 2 Firemouth Cichlids. They've been doing this week, so yesterday I added 5 corys and 2 Bolivian Rams.

The two rams were doing ok yesterday, but come nighttime the one turned very dark in color and was sitting on the bottom. This morning and afternoon he's still moving slightly, but getting drug into the part of the filter that sucks up the water.

I just finished doing about a 40% WC and these were my parameters before doing so:

Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    pH 7.6
    kH 5
    gH 9

Is there any chance this ram could turn out to be okay after this WC? Should I fear for the other one going eventually even though it's acting ok right now?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately I think you didn't have a large enough colony of beneficial bacteria to support the bio load of the fish u introduced. I would perform one more water change (matching temp and pH) getting the ammonia down as low as possible. Do u have Prime by Seachem?

3. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

large 50% water change now , and check parameters in 24 hours if its still showing ammonia another large water change in tell tank has 0 ammonia.

do you have seachem prime as your de-clhorinator?

4. OP
    OP
    B

Wouldn't the ammonia levels have impacted the other fish I have though? And yes I have Prime.

Yup I have Prime; I've been using it with every WC for about a month or so now.

Just ran another ammonia test and it's around 0.25 again. I'll have to do another WC tonight, but sadly I don't think this one ram is going to make it. At this point, I'm making sure the other one doesn't go belly-up as well.

5. Caitlin86

Some fish r more sensitive than others. Do u have ammonia in ur tap?

6. OP
    OP
    B

Gotcha. I tested my tap after letting it sit out for 48hrs a few weeks back, and there was just a slight hint of ammonia in it. I'm going to test it again. Should I let the tap water sit out for 48hrs again or test it immediately?

7. Caitlin86

Test it immediately

EDIT- when doing water changes do u add water immediately or wait 48 hour?

8. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

you cant just introduce that many fish at once. You have to give the BB time to build up with the increasing fish load. You overloaded the system and they cant process the waste quickly enough hence the spikes in ammonia. Do large water changes and dose with prime. Also, if you have corys in with the cichlids you better find them a new home quick. The firemouths especially are territorial and will likely kill them.

9. OP
    OP
    B

My tap is surprisingly close to .50 ammonia and my tank isn't read at about 0.25. Any thoughts on how I should proceed? I'm doing another WC tonight.

10. OP
    OP
    B

For future reference, what's the best stocking situation?

I saw adding half of what you ideally want one week and the other half a week later was a good system, which is what I did. I had a few BA Tetras before adding a couple more along with the two Firemouth, and 7 days later I introduced the corys and rams.

Should it be further apart, not add more than a couple fish at a time, or both? I couldn't find on definitive answer, but I did just add two bottle of TSS+ so I thought it'd be alright