Just a thought

1. Bob_Marley88 Initiate Member

Would stocking predator fish with schooling fish and other semi agressive/not so aggressive fish be okay to do if the tank is big enough? Because in nature all of these things are present anyway. I know we try to choose our fish wisely in how they will cooperate with others, but would an aggresive fish litterally chase a smaller fish around constantly and continously until it caught it? My bichirs always try and eat my ghost shrimp but the shrimp are too fast and everytime it lunges at one it misses. The shrimp dont seem stressed out neither does the bichir, its more like a "until next time mr shrimp" type thing it seems.

I just cant see an aggressive fish literally chasing a school of fish non stop like a mad man (or fish), but is it to be understood that it will? Even if all fish are fed regularly and there are enough obsticles in the tank to shorten up the fishes attention span? I realize i could be wrong i just wanted to hear some of your opinions.

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do it. Waste of money IMO. For example if you put angels and neons in a tank when neons are natural prey while sometimes it works one day you can come and 19 out of your 20 neons are missing and your angels look quite obese. Talk about a hard day on the wallet.

3. Bob_Marley88 Initiate Member

Did not think about it financially lol. I guess that really trumps all good point.

4. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

+1 watson

it would depend on your stock but its just a matter of time before they get eaten.
    Like in a river system or lakes there are millions of gallons probably more and they stay in different parts of the river/lake

5. fighter55 Member Member

I have an extremely predatory fish, a spotted ctenopoma, and one day I put in zebra danios thinking that they'll be great tank mates. the next day they were all fine, and on the third day, they were gone. I have known people who put quick fish with slower predatory fish, and eventually the little quick fish get picked off one by one until there aren't any more.

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

A predator will stalk its prey and learn how to catch it.