Question Just A Thought - Underwater Sealants?

Whatisacanada

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is there any kind of material that can be used as a sealant and applied underwater that is fish safe?
I purchased a used 55 gallon today and while it is holding water I am unsure about the seals on the inside of the tank.
If necessary I will reseal the whole tank with silicone, but am just wondering about something like this being available in case I ever have a tank spring a leak and need to stop it quickly.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Whatisacanada said:
Is there any kind of material that can be used as a sealant and applied underwater that is fish safe?
I purchased a used 55 gallon today and while it is holding water I am unsure about the seals on the inside of the tank.
If necessary I will reseal the whole tank with silicone, but am just wondering about something like this being available in case I ever have a tank spring a leak and need to stop it quickly.
This requires a teardown.

OP
Whatisacanada

Whatisacanada

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wraithen said:
This requires a teardown.
I was hoping I wouldn't have to, but I have figured out that this was previously a reptile tank! Definitely gonna need a makeover

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Whatisacanada said:
I was hoping I wouldn't have to, but I have figured out that this was previously a reptile tank! Definitely gonna need a makeover
Oh yeah. Make sure its got the right thickness glass for what you will use it for.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sealant has to cure. No way around that.

OP
Whatisacanada

Whatisacanada

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wraithen said:
Oh yeah. Make sure its got the right thickness glass for what you will use it for.
It appears to be the same thickness as my other aquariums, so I think it was sold as a fish tank. The seller told me that it would hold water but I don't think she filled it up to test it.

jjohnwm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Be aware that new silicone will not adhere to old cured silicone. To re-seal, you need to use a razor blade to remove the fillet or bead all the way around the inside corners, without actually cutting down between the glass pieces. When the glass is perfectly clean, then reseal the whole thing at one time.

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Underwater sealant is available, mainly for pond use. It might stop a leak in a tank temporarily, but to do it properly you’d need to do what jjohnwm says.

New Threads