Just A Though About Internal Parasites

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Livielupop, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Livielupop

Livielupop Valued Member Member

In the past I've had fish die with their stomachs getting really skinny all of a sudden. They're acting fine but eventually chill at the bottom till their death...it really confuses me. My water parameters are always pristine when this kind of thing happens and all the other fish are all healthy. I wonder though if a fish dies like this and it is most likely and internal parasite could it affect the other fish?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Internal parasites have several forms throughout their lifecycle, including being an egg that is dropped in the feces of host fish. That egg hatches and becomes a larva or other intermediate form. These other forms attract fish, who eat them, and the cycle repeats.

So if parasites have been a concern, then worming your entire tank at appropriate intervals is a sensible precaution.

3. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It is possible. What kind of fish does this happen to? It could also be old age or cancer or any number of things that cause wasting.

4. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

including that somehow, that particular fish isn't getting to the food before the others do. eventually he loses strength to keep trying, chills out and dies.

5. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

Livielupop Valued Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice