55 Gallon Tank Just a quick question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylice8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi i have a 55 gal freshwater tank with 2 firemouths 2 kribs 1 red tailed shark and 1 boeiman rainbow ( planning to get a few more) and my firemouths usually stay in one section of the tank i also dont know if they are male or female but they seem to have dug out some of the rocks at the bottom kinda like a little trench, and i wondering is this like a nest for them and do u think they is gonna be babies?

Ty for help. CODY

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most cichlids will dig out pits either preparing for fry or just because.

If doing it for fry they will normally dig a pit for when the eggs hatch and become wigglers. From that point until they are free swimming, usually about 3-5 days, they will keep them in this pit. It is also normal for them to make new pits constantly and move the wigglers throughout the day.

Best thing to do is just check the pits, if it looks like something is in there moving around they have wigglers. If there is nothing in it it could be they are just getting it ready or the just dug a hole because thats what they do from time to time.

Brian

OP
S

sylice8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok thank u very much for ur help i dont think there are any eggs or stuff like that were the little burrow is but i do know that they do always hang out there. I'll try to get pics but they are very shy and really dont come out whne me or my dad is around but ill try

Thank you for help.;D

OP
S

sylice8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok but I have heard that there colors brighten up when they are having babies and the yhave been a very bright red latley so do u think that that means anything? but i do not think i see anything in the bourrow?
Thank you for help, CODY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 73 68.9%

Top Bottom