Just a little advice please?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Conb94, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Conb94New MemberMember

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I'm just looking for advice, I've owned 4 plattys for a while now, I have 3 girls one male and two of my girls have got a huge gut on them, I think they might be pregnant, I'm just looking for a second look by someone who has experience in plattys so I can prep to keep the fry? I'll post a couple pictures in the thread as I can't on here.

Thanks Connor,

2. OP
    OP
    C

Conb94New MemberMember

theres the pictures sorry I used image shack, it would not let upload the pictures to the forum as the file was too large. Thanks

3. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Hi, this site is good for resizing pics

4. Greener907

Greener907Valued MemberMember

I have 1 pregnant platy..you can definitely tell when they are carrying fry. When she drops fry, you'll need to separate the fry or else her or the other fish may eat them. When she is ready to drop, there will be a little white spot on her underside where the fry will be delivered through..sometimes this can be visible days before she's ready. I wouldn't recommend a breeder box, as they sometimes do more harm than good and can cause the momma not to drop fry because they're stressed out, or drop too early. If you have to use a breeder box, try to scoop her up in it, instead of netting her, as this will be easier on her. Sometimes they can start and stop dropping fry over the course of a few days..you just need to watch her. You could always let her drop fry on her own (let nature take it's course), and not intervene for the first couple times, then when you get a sense of what to look for when she's about to drop fry you can be more prepared. The fry that are left in the tank will mostly get eaten, but some could survive if you provide them with hiding places. Hornwort is a good floating plant the babies can hide in.
    Hope this helped! Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    C

Conb94New MemberMember

Thanks, I'll keep that link handy! can you do me a favour can you click the picture and see if people can see it because I want to know so I can get the tank ready asap?

Thanks

6. Greener907

Greener907Valued MemberMember

She definitely looks pregnant to me..

7. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Yes the link works & they do look pregnant

8. OP
    OP
    C

Conb94New MemberMember

Okay thank you, thought they looked a little on the large size. Best get my tank ready then Thank you for the advice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice