Just a few questions...

1. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

BACKGROUND: I donated my fish today (except the clown pleco), in exchange for one Angelfish, and I had my water tested.

Just a couple questions...

1. My hand slipped during my last PWC yesterday. Will overdosing with Stress Coat+ cause false readings with my water? Today it tested 0 (Ammonia), 0 (Nitrite), 0 (Nitrate), and >6.0pH. I know Stress coat softens water and binds ammonia, so is this the problem? I've otherwise done nothing to upset the cycle of this tank (unless moving all the fish at once caused it :-\)

2. My LFS told me my angel will be alright by himself (aside from the clown pleco). I'm backing myself up with agabr123's stocking suggestions for a 20 gallon tank (yes it's a tall tank). If there are any doubts, please let me know. I will be upgrading my filter soon to an Aquaclear 30 or 50...

EDIT: For the pH, my LFS sold me Alkaline Buffer by Seachem, because my pH is at risk of fluctuating. She advised me to add it in small amounts because my angel enjoys soft water.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello TFA.

Chemicals of any kind to alter your pH levels can be risky. They are unstable and can even cause your pH to crash, resulting in fish loss. There are more natural ways to adjust your pH:
    Properly Maintaining the pH in a Freshwater Aquarium - Rate My Fish Tank

I can't say for certain that an overdose of Stress Coat will alter your readings. I personally don't think it will do any harm. How much did you over dose? I suggest checking your readings again this morning to see how it all stands.

Best of luck!
    Ken

3. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

Thanks so much Ken. I'm getting my test kit in a few days. API Master kit. How long do they last if I were to test every 2 weeks or so?

I'll move some of my drfitwood out too, it's probably caused the problem with the pH. Then I'll be sure to find some limestone or quartz. I live out by the beach, there's bound to be something there. If not, can i use some crumbled sea shells I found on the beach?

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning TFA. Yes, you can use sea shells you find on the beach. I recommend boiling them for a couple of minutes before you add them to your tank. The shells will help to raise your pH.

Driftwood can lower your pH.

The API test kit should last you a good while :)
    Ken

5. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

From looking at your info, I would say your Ph is good. If those readings are normal for you, don't add anything to your tank. Limestone and shells will/can bring the Ph up. Quartz will do nothing. Are the readings in your tank info before using any buffers? If so your Ph is not at risk of fluctuating...that can happen when start adding chemicals, then water changing, then chemicals, etc. Ph crashes and the like, are more normally caused by tampering with the water.
    Your Ph of 6.0 is a bit low but 6.5 to 7.0 is great for South American fish and yours can be fine is the Ph goes up. Adding some shells and/or coral sand will naturaslly buffer your water a little better. If you are doing regular water changes, your parameters will remain the same.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I dont think overdosing with stress coat+ will hurt anything..and dont be misled from past theories..stress coat+ does NOTHING for ammonia/nitrites....stress coat will not give false readings ...

I havent had any luck with just one angel...it didnt seem to act like an angel until I got a buddy..but each cichlid is different im sure ;) a pair of angels can do fine in a 20g tall..are you planning on getting another one?

for some reason, the tank is going through a mini cycle...(unless you have a bunch of live plants? ) and I wouldnt worry about the ph for now....adding buffers is a temporary solution that happens way to fast ..that does more harm than good IMO..

make sure we get a pic soon ;D

7. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

I think something had to have been a fluke in the readings, my Angel is doing just fine and shows no sign of stress. He's eating good, and he already knows me! :) his name is Marty btw, golden pearscale I think, and he's about silver dollar sized. I'll post pictures soon.

My AQUARIUM INFO isn't up to date, I have to fix that. The readings I had the other day were 0,0,0 for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, which means my tank was sent into a mini cycle. my pH measured LESS THAN 6.0, and my LFS told me that without enough buffers, my pH will be at risk of fluctuating. I will add some crushed shells to my filter for a while. How long should I leave them there, or should I just leave them there permanently?

I plan to remove some driftwood to reduce the chances lowering of my pH any further, but I don't want to remove too much, or I might really send my tank off into a mini cycle.

1. Alrighty then, maybe my Angel's just a trooper? Nobody's showing stress or anything. The clown pleco's doing fine, too.

2. Two adult sized Angels in a 20 high? Maybe... he's just a little timid is all, which I assume is normal for a new, single angelfish. my plants are suffering from when my platies were living in it. They ate most of the good hiding spots, so I'm going to have to add some more cover. I hear angels like amazon swords to "perch" on...

3. Hmmm... I'm getting a test kit real soon, so Ill monitor the water from there. I'm going into town today, I'll pick up a Master Kit while I'm there. The pH was less than 6, and that worries me a little. I'm going to add a few crushed shells to buffer naturally, and hopefully that'll get me to about 6.5-7.0pH.