Just a few questions with our new setup

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by skyjade, Dec 30, 2009.

1. s

skyjade New Member Member

:;banaman
    About a month ago we got a 20 gallon setup as a gift. We put in a Jack Dempsey and 2 Black Tiger Oscars and an algea eater. The Oscars are growing and seem to be "harrassing" my JD. They follow him around. Anyway, we of course acguired a 55 gallon tank soonafter and now have 2 3" ID sharks and an algea eater in the 55 gallon. My main question is: Can we put all the fish in the 55 gallon tank? Or should we come up with a mixture for the group with the two tanks? My plan was to get 2 Rope Fish for the big tank, but I love the Oscars and JD and would be happiest if all the fish could thrive in the 55 gallon tank. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!!!
    unfortunately the fish you have, can never live in a 20 g tank :( and pooooooooooo to the fish store that sold them to you with that size tank.....your 55g is big enough for your pleco and your jd...the oscars and the id sharks will not be able to be in there as they need 100s of gallons to grow....Im sorry for this information as I have been where you are and learned the hard way by my fin babies dieing.....good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    s

skyjade New Member Member

So are you saying they cannot survive at all in the 20 gallon? Or that they would just do better in a bigger tank? Is there any way they all can coexist in the 55 gallon? Have my dreams of Rope Fish been squashed?

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:( im sorry for such bad news..but no they cannot survive in the 20g ..oscars grow the fastest in their first 2 years and can get over a foot big...they waste is twice that and in a 20g tank, theres no way to keep them alive with the ammonia issues you will have....the jd's are the same but dont get as big.....you can raise the baby oscars and jd in the 55g if they are juvies..but within 6 months or so, you would need at least a 300g tank or bigger for all the ones you have.....

if it were me, id return the oscars and give the pet store a nice but firm lecture on why they sold you monster fish for a 20g tank ..(but thats me LOL ) and turn the 20g into a community tank with other small fish....id use the 55g for your dempsey and your pleco..maybe add some smaller cichlids after it settles itself ....if im not mistaken, rope fish require salt as they grow and the others cannot tolerate it....

do you know about the cycle process? its something all tanks have to go through so the fish dont die https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm heres a link about that....

EDIT: heres another link thats more in english type terms LOL ..in otherwords, a little bit easier to understand.... https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...erb-page-beginner-experienced-fishkeeper.html

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Shawnie. Again. Oscars are way too big for either of your tanks & the fish shop that sold them to you deserves a big piece of your mind. One Oscar will feel cramped in a 55g, even if it is the only fish in there. As Shawnie said they are a big fish that produces massive amounts of waste. There's just no way all your fish can survive in a 55g tank together. I'm not familiar with the id sharks but if Shawnie says they are too big for either tank I would definitley take her word for it. The 55g will work for the JD & plec like Shawnie says but never for two Oscars & never all your fish together. Here's a link to a profile on Oscars so you can learn abit about them: https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Oscar.htm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice