Just a few questions and a follow up.

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My guppy just had fry. Again. And there's so many of them. I tell myself to see which ones survive and go from there, but as soon as I see a fry in the tank, I have to hunt them all down. :\

What do I do now? I don't mind that they breed- I love breeding fish. But there's too many, too fast. My 3 gallon is going to be way overstocked. There's already brown algae plaguing everything, and somethings wrong with the filter (I think it just needs a new filter cartridge). Do I do the above and release them all into the tank again?

I just gave a batch to my LFS, who will only take them if they're half the size of an adult.

Also, one of my older guppy fry has his fin raised like he's wanting to ask a question. I never noticed it before. Is it a deformity, or do you think something wrong? I had a fish get caught between the breeder box and the glass like a month ago, but I don't think it was the same fry.

My bronze cory is swimming wildly around my tank. My panda cory, for comparison, is swimming calmly. Is this spawning behavior?

As far as my other problems...

There's no sign of the white worms anymore, and everyone has perked up in color and overall liveliness after a 50% water change. <3

The guppy with pop eye and a big chest is still eating and chasing the ladies, so I'll let him be. If he gets worse, I'll go from there. He seems a bit better, though.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your help!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think if you don't have a plan for the fry, you shouldn't be breeding them. Guppies will keep producing more and more fry - causing problems with your water parameters.

Edit: Do you have an extra seeded filter cartridge? Because if you just throw yours out, you'll lose all the beneficial bacteria housed in it. Try to just rinse it in discarded tank water and see if they helps.

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was just going to give them to the pet store as they got a bit bigger, but it turns out it takes a while more than I thought for them to get half the size of the adults. I also figured I'd just leave them in there to fend for themselves, but I haven't quite done that yet. :*

I didn't plan very well, I guess. I think I'll just keep males from now on, lol

About the cartridge, I don't. I cycled this tank with a piece of old cartridge from another filter stuffed in with the brand new cartridge of this one. So this one I have now is the only old one made for this filter.

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No can do; I live in a double-wide. Trust me, if I could, I would.

I took Lefty out, caught the parents in the net, and let the babies hide. Then I let the parents go. I was supposed to let the parents chase them around in the first place, but I broke down and caught all of the fry. Most are extremely quick at escaping. You can tell which ones are smart.

After my older batch of fry is good enough a size to give away, I'll probably convert to all male guppies. Or, depending on how many of this new batch is left, I'll keep the ladies and let them pick the fry off.

I feel kind of sad for the babies, though. I hope what I did was OK. D:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I doubt they'll eat the fry fast enough to keep up, but you can try it.
I had some aggression issues when I kept 3 males guppies, but I've read others say they didn't experience the same thing. I think this can be a little hit and miss.

As for the filter, try rinsing it. Also, if you think you're going to need to replace it, you really need to seed a new one for about 4 weeks first - just get a new one and stick it inside the tank.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fish'd said:
No can do; I live in a double-wide. Trust me, if I could, I would.
Ummmm...I live in a doublewide (an older 70s model, at that) and I have nine tanks going right now and am in the process of setting up my 55gal again. Have you gotten under your house and looked at what kind of bracing you have under there? If you have blocking around the base of your house, that usually means it was meant to be a permenant structure and it'll have bracing built under the house to keep it from sagging in the long-term. My dad is a contractor, so when I moved into the house I'm in now, I had him check my floors to see if they'd support the weight of a fish tank. Just make sure you place your tank next to a wall and you should be okay.

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, yeah, but I'm 17 and I'm stuck with my room. My 20 gal sits in the corner diagonally.

Plus my dad would say no, lol.

I've never been under this house, actually. I think it's permanent. :O
I was mostly talking about space allowance, anyway.

@Meenu: I've seen a few get eaten, but we'll see, I guess. ^^

I have to do a water change on the fry tank in a little bit, so I'll rinse it then and see how it goes.

Thanks to you both!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom