Just a couple of questions!

1. cmurphy24 Initiate Member

Hey there, I'm new so forgive me if this is wrong. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've recently upgraded from a 10 gallon to 50 gallon tank. The first question is that I'd like to know if there's somewhere online where I can purchase filter media from an established tank to jump start the cycle for my 55. Next question is about the 10 gallon, I've been looking for ideas for my tank and I think I found it. I'm really interested in getting a blue spotted sunfish and as it only grows to about 4 inches would it thrive well in a 10 gallon if it was the only fish in there? If so would I be able to have tank mates for it and what could they be. I'd appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks!

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!,One thing you could try to find use the filters from the 10 gallon and just float them around.For the sun fish no that is to big for a ten gallon you could do a betta tank though.:;hi2

3. cmurphy24 Initiate Member

Thanks! From all that I've read here so far, I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy this forum. Seems like there's a lot too learn! But I actually don't have the old filter from the tank, It's actually a new tank, just same light and everything.I came home from work one day too a damp floor and fish flopping in the tank. It must have just happened when I had left. But I lost a lot of fish! But the ones I got survived, so I'm hoping I can find a way to cycle it as soon as possible. I had to quickly get all of my fish into my 55, so It's not even close to being cycled, which I said I'd never do. But things happen I guess.

And alright, what size would you suggest for the Bluegill? His full size is about 4 inches.

4. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

just get some babies from the stocking farm.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

at least a 20 long, just for it. A 29 would be better. Really anything in between, as there are more tank sizes than just the 20 and 29.

welcome to the forum