Just a Bit of Ich

Slow

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I introduced the panda cory into the tank. I suspect that may have resulted in ich, because about a week ago I noticed a small white spot on the nose of one of the male rosy barbs. Then a couple of days later I noticed about 4 white spots on the female rosy and yesterday I saw one or two dots on the other male. I'm guessing it's ich because it does look like a small white grain of salt, but there are relatively few spots, not the dusting I've seen and read about. Plus the fish seem to be behaving normally, not scratching up against things.

I have a few questions. If this is ich, can it be controlled / eliminated simply through water changes and raising the temperature? I checked water quality yesterday and ammonia and nitrites were zero. I couldn't get a good read on the nitrate level, but I think it was near 40 ppm. I did a 25% wc, so everything should be okay. pH was 7.4. I raised the temp a bit and have it at about 80.

I don't want to medicate the tank if I don't have to, especially considering the fish are not entirely covered by white spots. But if that is the only way to cure the problem, what is the safest and most effective considering I have the cory? ??? Everything I read indicates all the best ich cures, including salt, malachite green, etc, are harmful if not fatal for the cory. I bought some CopperSafe (copper sulfate), but later read that catfish might absorb it and be harmed by that, so I have not added it (yet).

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions or can refer me to a good website. The information I've found has been contradictory or doesn't give me a complete answer for my setup.

Thank you.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Slowly raise the temperature to 85 degrees - no less it won't work- and leave it there for a full 14 days - no less it won't work. You should not have to medicate if you do just this. When you raise to this temperature at 85 the parasite leaves your fish and goes freeswimming in the tank. If you leave the temperature up for 14 days it is long enough to kill off the parasite and any others floating around looking for a fish to land on. This has been proven to work by several of our members. You do not have to turn off the lights, add salt, add medication or any of the other treatments. Just raise the temperature and leave it there for 14 days. Just raise a degree and wait a couple of hours and raise another degree and do again until you have it at 85. Get a good accurate thermometer if you do not have one to make sure that the temperature is actually 85 as 84 won't do. (and if you have an airstone you may want to turn it up a bit as since the water will be warmer it will not hold oxygen as well - the warmer the water becomes the less oxygen is in it.)

I do hope this is helpful to you. Welcome to our group. I love this site and the people in it. We are a friendly group and you can ask anything about fish and tanks or tank equipment here and someone will be sure to try to help. I have met many fine people here and had a great many times when I have gotten help when I needed it. I do hope your experience here is as pleasant as mine has been.

Rose

ncje

Valued Member
Reaction score
I recently had the same problem... occured after the introduction of two peppermint plecos. Anyway as soon as I saw the spots I did my normal water change and over 2 days upped the temperature. Spots went quickly after that.... actually 16 days later (2 extra to be safe) I dropped the temp down. Seems it did the trick. Ive got a happy crew ... almost (but thats another issue )

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
the earlier u notice it the easier it is 2 get rid of by raising the temperature etc i caught my breakout a few weeks bak, very early with 1 or 2 spots and it dissappeared greatly 4 me

C W

Slow

Reaction score
I returned the CopperSafe and picked up a better thermometer and have started the elevated temperature treatment.

Thank you all for the information and the warm welcome. I look forward to visiting the forum often.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
After just 3 days of heating the tank (and medication) most of the spots have disappeared! Chickadee has the best advice to offer ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom