Jungle Val -- when to cut runners

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by f2002, Jul 17, 2015.

1. f2002Valued MemberMember

I bought a jungle val like maybe 2 months ago and it growing like gangbusters. It has one long runner chain that has produced 7 new plants. 4 out of the 7 are already tall enough that they reach the top of the aquarium themselves (I have a 20 gallon long tank).

It has a second runner chain with three new plants. The funny thing about this one is that it is growing right through a bunch of other plants.

So far I've left the val alone to do it's own thing, never cutting the runners or redirecting the position of its runners. It is really neat to just sit back and let nature do its thing.

But now I'm wondering -- what is the fastest way to fill the tank with val? is it to:

1. Leave the val alone -- it is working so far; or

2. Cut the umbilical cord and separate all the new plants, so that each will eventually grow their own runners.

Mathematically #2 seems like the right answer. Right now I have two runner chains. But if all the new plants are split off, they EACH can produce their own runner chains. That should grow faster right?

On the other hand, maybe #1 is the right answer. Maybe new plants won't grow runners very quickly, and that the reason everything is growing so fast right now is because the mother plant is providing all the nutrients?

Another reason I want to cut the runners is that I want the val plants to grow closer together, to form a thicker forest for fish to hide in.

For reference, my tank is a smaller version of what this guy has going on:

[video=youtube_share;zjL8mJjz7bs]http://youtu.be/zjL8mJjz7bs[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  2. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I would cut the runner so that the plants can develop a stronger root structure and create their own runners.

3. f2002Valued MemberMember

Thanks Amazon Passion! BTW I love your picture. That is a gorgeous angel fish and love the green background!

I noticed your location is listed as "Southern California." I am also in the area. What are your favorite fish stores around LA county, Inland Empire, and Orange county?

So far, I've visited maybe 8 stores, and the two best ones are CK Fish World in West Covina and Global Aquatics in Ontario. I haven't made my way out to Santa Monica yet (I live around Walnut so that's quite a drive for me) but based on Yelp reviews there seems to be some amazing stores there as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice