Jungle Val Propagation

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by FoulFishes, Dec 29, 2012.

1. FoulFishes

FoulFishes Valued Member Member

Can Jungle Vallisneria propagate like Elodea, Wisteria, Bacopa, etc. where if a leaf of stem was cut in half the part that was cut off will grow into a new plant. I would assume it wouldn't because the part removed doesn't have a crown, but I wanted to be sure.

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Bump...

Ken

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Jungle Vals sends out runners

4. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I don't think that came across correctly...I'm basically just asking if Jungle Val can propogate by cuttings, as in the cutting form new plants?

5. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to plants, but I think the answer to your specific question is no. Val will not propogate via cuttings.

6. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Okay cool, see i've been concerned because I got some Jungle Vals that were kept in a tank with dfferent types of Barbs and Sharks, so the Vals are really chewed up in some areas. A few of the leaves have fallen off as well. There are leaves that are very green and attached to the crown, they're just all chewed up. I'm really hoping they come back cause I never have good luck with my plants lol.

7. eltoro

eltoro Valued Member Member

I have vallisneria nana but I'm pretty sure it works the same way for all other val species. If a leaf is damaged, it won't regrow and will soon melt away. That is not to say that the whole plant is dead though, it will just shoot off new leaves.

8. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Thats a shame, think I should trim/remove the leaves, or wait for new ones to grow? None of the plants are rotting even the chewed up ones.

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If the leaves are damaged or broken trim them as close to the bottom as possible. If they start to rot it could cause your Nitrates to go up.
    Trimming should stimulate them to send out runners and new plants will grow on the end of the runners. when the babies get several leaves you can separate them from the parent plant and replant or just leave them alone.
    carol

10. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Thankfully I think my Vals will bounce back up. I already have thick green roots with red dots on the tip, i'm assuming thats what the runners look like before they hit the substrate.

I also have a Val with additional root systems coming out of the very top of the crown, along with the roots that are already coming out the bottom.

11. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Corkscrew Val - Has runner attached with new plant on the left
    [​IMG]

Jungle Val
    Start of runner - Dark green spot just above roots
    [​IMG]

Runner sent out - Looks like large root on the right.
    [​IMG]

Leaves started - The red is the new leaf
    [​IMG]

Growth progress -
    [​IMG]

Ground Breaking -
    [​IMG]

Becoming its own -
    [​IMG]

Becoming its own - Just a different angle, sorry for the slightly out of focus shot
    [​IMG]

I haven't propagated anything yet though.
    Outlaw

12. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

13. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Thanks. and glad I can help.

14. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

One more question, I have some Jungle Vals that are only a few inches long. The tips have been chewed up, and I haven't noticed any change in growth for a few weeks now. Would it be better (and cause better growth) to cut the parts that have been chewed, or to remove the entire chewed leaves? I thought cutting would be best so that the plant doesn't have to start over.

15. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

i'm guessing and i'm not certain but in my tank I think you could split one of the mother plants and both halves would grow. I also think you could pull one out and smash it with a hammer and it would still grow. do not try this!

16. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If you split the crown of vals they will not grow.

Making statements like "I also think you could pull one out and smash it with a hammer and it would still grow. do not try this!" is not being helpful.
    Carol

17. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

i'm off to the tank to try this. I will let you know how it works out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice