Jungle Val not growing right

jkkgron2

Any liquid carbon in the tank?

Mazeus

What jkkgron2 said, products like excel will melt away you vals.

bciver

jkkgron2

Mazeus

Do you know your Ph and water hardness? If memory serves (and I may be wrong) but vals do better in hard water.

Pfrozen

Eco complete is essentially gravel (crushed lava rock) with a better capacity for storing nutrients. Root feeders like vals will struggle because they're already difficult to grow to begin with ime

StarGirl

How long have they been planted? They take a minute to take off. The "growing sideways" are runners to new plants.

bciver

jkkgron2 said:
Hm.. What did they look like when you got them?
They were just a lot smaller. They have grown a lot.

bciver

StarGirl said:
How long have they been planted? They take a minute to take off. The "growing sideways" are runners to new plants.

image.jpg

bciver

Mazeus said:
Do you know your Ph and water hardness? If memory serves (and I may be wrong) but vals do better in hard water.
It’s about 7.8. My tap is hard. Great for African cichlids.

jkkgron2

I think that’s just the ordinary melt then. Especially if they’re sending runners!

bciver

T
jkkgron2 said:
I think that’s just the ordinary melt then. Especially if they’re sending runners!
Thank you!

jake37

might be runners as StarGirl said; might also be where most of the light comes from - is there a bright light on top or does it get most of hte light from the side ?
________
Took a closer look 100% runner but plants awful pale. Do they gwt enough strong light?

Pfrozen

It honestly looks like a dying plant covered in fuzz algae to me :(

RomanNoodles96

Pfrozen said:
It honestly looks like a dying plant covered in fuzz algae to me :(
I agree. Looks like black beard algae and the plant is dying.

bciver

jake37 said:
might be runners as StarGirl said; might also be where most of the light comes from - is there a bright light on top or does it get most of hte light from the side ?
________
Took a closer look 100% runner but plants awful pale. Do they gwt enough strong light?
There is a nicrew light. I keep it on 12 hours a day. It has plenty of light.

jake37

There is more to light than duration.... still it looks quite pale so something is off.

bciver said:
There is a nicrew light. I keep it on 12 hours a day. It has plenty of light.

bciver

-Mak- said:
Flourish is also lacking the the important macro nutrients NPK, I'd recommend an all-in-one fertilizer like nilocg thrive
Where do I get that?

Dennis57

jkkgron2

bciver said:
Where do I get that?
It’s just on a website. Are you in the US? I’m not sure if they sell it elsewhere.

bciver

jkkgron2 said:
It’s just on a website. Are you in the US? I’m not sure if they sell it elsewhere.
Yes. I live in Minnesota.

jake37

jungle vals seem to prefer liquid as they are not root feeders.

StarGirl

I only feed liquid also.

-Mak-

bciver said:
Would this or root tabs be better for jungle Val? I love the plant and I want so bad for it to thrive
Pretty much any plant will do best with both

jkkgron2

Out of curiosity, where did you get your vals from?

bciver

jkkgron2 said:
Out of curiosity, where did you get your vals from?
My LFS

jkkgron2

bciver said:
Cool! Which LFS do you go to? I’m in MN so kinda curious. I usually go to A world of fish. Great place with lots of variety and they give discounts pretty often which is nice.

bciver

jkkgron2 said:
Cool! Which LFS do you go to? I’m in MN so kinda curious. I usually go to A world of fish. Great place with lots of variety and they give discounts pretty often which is nice.
I live in moorhead. Fargo is like 5 miles away. I try my best not to buy fish or anything from Petco or PetSmart. I go tropical fish shoppe in west fargo. They do not have the best selection of cichlids so that’s why I am going to try online ordering the rest of my fish to fill out the tank... gonna have to do it soon tho as it’s getting COLD

DioAquatics

I had the same issue growing jungle val in eco complete. All my vals just died over a few weeks. I switched to fluval stratum and now my vals are growing in great, still not like they used to be but I’m getting there

jake37

I have eco complete; it grows too fast in my tank. In fact i have 4 tanks with 4 different inert substrate and it grows in all 4 of them.

Top Bottom