jungle val growth and how to plant ? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by lucky strike 21, Nov 28, 2012.

1. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21 Well Known Member Member

is there anyway to grow jungle val outside of a tank because im thinking of growing it before putting it in my aquarium because fish enjoy it as a snack im thinking putting it in a tupperware full of water and some soil till it starts growing big then i will take one out and put it in my aquarium and i repeat the steps for more jungle val what does everyone think ?any tips also i moved one plant and the roots were fuzzy white is this a good thing or a bad thing?

2. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

No, it's a water plant.

3. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

That's the whole point I'm gonna cover the whole plant in water in the tupperware

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

You could do that, no problem. I grow several plant species emersed or in shallow water. If it's for a fish snack though I'd pick a faster grower like duckweed or some sort of hygrophila.

5. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

so will any soil work better to grow it im thinking a clear glass flower vase half filled with soil then plant the jungle val and cover the plant entirely by the water dechlorinated or normal water and just leave it out in the sun would this be a good idea?

6. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

plain old topsoil is plenty, potting soil could work also but sometimes has the little foam pieces in it that make a mess.

One issue with doing it this way is a potentia for an algae bloom, so you may need to do water changes on it. I would not put it in direct sunlight because a small container of water like that can easily get overheated.

7. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

thank you

8. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

I misunderstood. I was thinking you only intended to plant it like a house plant. As long as it's all submerged, sure enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice