Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Jungle Val Adjustment Period

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by SFGiantsGuy, Apr 20, 2019.

1. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

So...just how long does the plant usually take to “adjust”/transition to its new environment? (On average) Of all the plants that I’ve ever had, I just...never had Jungle Val! Lol

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Vals usually don't ship or transplant well, but once they get over their acclimation phase they go ape. Remove any dead or damaged leaves to speed up the process, and don't dose any "liquid carbon" supplements.

3. Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

I was ready to give up on my vals and toss them... I'm glad I didn't. Now they grow so well I have to thin them out periodically.

4. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

A couple weeks for me. Once they get settled they are amazing

5. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Thanks guys. Yeah I usually use Easy Green, Flourish and Thrive liquid ferts, and Easy Green and Thrive root tabs.

I also know that Vals like extra calcium, which is why my tap water’s pretty hard, and also why so use Flourish tabs, because they have decent calcium...

To “thin ‘em out”, do you just clip the tops off? I heard that can really hurt the plant...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2019
  6. Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

When I'm thinning them, I pull out some entire plants to keep them from overcrowding. But since some long leaves will extend all the way across the tank, I select the leaves I feel are too long and follow the leaf all the way to the base and pinch it off there. I'm not sure if this is the "right" way to do it, but works well for me.

7. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Sounds about right,hmmm...thanks.

8. !poogs!Valued MemberMember

I ordered my JV from a supplier about 500 km away. They shipped on a Monday and got here on a Wednesday. Outside temp was -40F. I was worried about the shipment. Then found out he had ordered them from a supplier about 3000 km away. When they got to him he shipped them right to me. He didn’t have the plant in stock when I ordered them so hence shipping method.

They arrived in pretty good shape. There was definitely some melting. Some of the leaves had been trimmed already, so that didn’t help.

I let them acclimate for about 2 discouraging weeks of melting, then trimmed the melted leaves back to the root. I used Seachem root tabs to get them going, I don’t root tab them any more.

I use the full Seachem lineup in my tanks. Contrary to popular belief, I do dose my tanks with excel even though most people believe this melts them. I disagree. My JV grows like mad and sprouts up everywhere. It requires monthly trimming. Excel with any other type of Val, I agree they don’t take off as well, but it’s not melting them either, but JV seems to be unaffected.

I would say it takes a good 2 months for JV to rebound and then start taking over. IMG_3072.JPG

9. FishMommerValued MemberMember

10. !poogs!Valued MemberMember

Thank you, it was a learning tank for me after being out of the hobby for 20 years. Lots of mistakes made, and false assumptions, and thinking I knew better. Lol. The hobby know how and products have progressed immensely. And forums help too . Finally at a point again where I can run my tanks with some confidence.

11. FishMommerValued MemberMember

I hear you! It has been a good 20 or so since my last one (aside from a 2.5g a few years back). Never went online with things until we got hit with a bacteria bloom and I ended up here. Not sure I ever had beyond a 20 g though. I think under 40 will be my max unless I can convince hubby otherwise someday... ;) This site encourages MTS.