Jungle tank update!

Discussion in 'kinezumi89' started by kinezumi89, Sep 16, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Well, I finally decided I was tired of my najas grass var. ZeeZ taking over my shrimp tank. (Take that! :;smack) So I removed all the plants that had rooted themselves, and just left a few floating at the top. I can't get rid of ALL of it, then I won't have any! I also put a few bits in my betta tank.

Before and after pics! It looks SO much more open. I didn't realize how much najas grass I had! I tossed a wad a bit smaller than a basketball. (Can't think of anything intermediate to a baseball and a basketball haha.) The dwarf sag in the middle is looking a little pale, so I don't think it was getting enough light. Also some of the dwarf sag runners couldn't reach the substrate, so they're just hanging out in the middle of the tank haha. Now I just have narrow-leaf anacharis running around the tank. I really like it, and I also really like the price! It was free :) Hiding in a bunch of hornwort I bought haha. (The hornwort has all since been delegated to the trash.)

Unfortunately in removing a lot of the najas roots, it pulled up a bunch of dirt. I don't think I'm doing a dirted tank again, this one has been such a pain! If I do, I'll do a sand cap at least. With the gravel, the dirt always seems to sneak through the cracks. So, please excuse the dirt on the terra cotta in the pictures :p (Also sorry about the weird reflection on the right side of the second picture. Those are the LEDs reflecting off the top of the betta tank, onto the shrimp tank. :) They don't seem to mind. ;)

Attached Files:

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Looks good with the trimmings.

So, when are you going to hold an RAOK for your dwarf sags? :) Since you are going to have an RAOK for dwarf sags might as well throw in some hippo grass too.

3. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    When I took rooted najas out of my soil tanks...they were a bit dirty...but settled fast...no matter if it was sand or gravel. Don't give up on soil! Tank looks good :)

-j

4. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    4 years
    Nice try ap you're encourageable ;)

5. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    4 years
    Your tank looks very cool definitly heavily planted :) I've tried to get Najas grass over here but haven't been successful yet thankfully my other plants are filling out nicely so I may not need it after all.
    Good job on the trimming :)

6. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! A nice winter break project may be taking the gravel out and replacing with sand, maybe leaving the dirt.

I do have a ton of dwarf sags; the 2.5 is covered, a half dozen or so in the 5.5, and I just put three in the 20 long. Plus dwarf chain swords in the 55! (I like the dwarf sags better though.) Maybe over winter break I'll have a dwarf sag/najas RAOK, but I'm not sure how hippo grass propagates.. ;)