Jungle tank update!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, I finally decided I was tired of my najas grass var. ZeeZ taking over my shrimp tank. (Take that! ) So I removed all the plants that had rooted themselves, and just left a few floating at the top. I can't get rid of ALL of it, then I won't have any! I also put a few bits in my betta tank.

Before and after pics! It looks SO much more open. I didn't realize how much najas grass I had! I tossed a wad a bit smaller than a basketball. (Can't think of anything intermediate to a baseball and a basketball haha.) The dwarf sag in the middle is looking a little pale, so I don't think it was getting enough light. Also some of the dwarf sag runners couldn't reach the substrate, so they're just hanging out in the middle of the tank haha. Now I just have narrow-leaf anacharis running around the tank. I really like it, and I also really like the price! It was free Hiding in a bunch of hornwort I bought haha. (The hornwort has all since been delegated to the trash.)

Unfortunately in removing a lot of the najas roots, it pulled up a bunch of dirt. I don't think I'm doing a dirted tank again, this one has been such a pain! If I do, I'll do a sand cap at least. With the gravel, the dirt always seems to sneak through the cracks. So, please excuse the dirt on the terra cotta in the pictures (Also sorry about the weird reflection on the right side of the second picture. Those are the LEDs reflecting off the top of the betta tank, onto the shrimp tank. They don't seem to mind.

Attachments

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks good with the trimmings.

So, when are you going to hold an RAOK for your dwarf sags? Since you are going to have an RAOK for dwarf sags might as well throw in some hippo grass too.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I took rooted najas out of my soil tanks...they were a bit dirty...but settled fast...no matter if it was sand or gravel. Don't give up on soil! Tank looks good

-j

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AmazonPassion said:
Looks good with the trimmings.

So, when are you going to hold an RAOK for your dwarf sags? Since you are going to have an RAOK for dwarf sags might as well throw in some hippo grass too.
Nice try ap you're encourageable

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Your tank looks very cool definitly heavily planted I've tried to get Najas grass over here but haven't been successful yet thankfully my other plants are filling out nicely so I may not need it after all.
Good job on the trimming

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the encouragement guys! A nice winter break project may be taking the gravel out and replacing with sand, maybe leaving the dirt.

I do have a ton of dwarf sags; the 2.5 is covered, a half dozen or so in the 5.5, and I just put three in the 20 long. Plus dwarf chain swords in the 55! (I like the dwarf sags better though.) Maybe over winter break I'll have a dwarf sag/najas RAOK, but I'm not sure how hippo grass propagates..

New Threads