Jungle style low-tech 8,5 gallon aquascape

ruud

Jungle style aquascape....meaning that this tank will be totally covered with plants in chaotic fashion. It is probably the easiest style in aquascaping.

Tank
  • Rimless 8.5 gallon/32,4 liters
  • Footprint: 24 inch/60 cm in length, 12 inch/30 cm deep
  • Height: 7 inch/18 cm height
  • 5mm glass thickness
Scape
  • Substrate: Tropica acquasoil powder
  • Hardscape: several pieces of spiderwood
The top of the two trunks are supposed to stick out and will be covered with mosses. I sawn off the tops so that it remains wet even if the water level is lowered during holidays. I tested it for a few weeks (also to waterlog the wood) and the top remained wet.

IMG_20220121_102129161.jpg

Next, I added more smaller pieces of wood, took out most of the water, and painted the wood with a mix of yoghurt and several different mosses. I fear that I didn't add enough moss.

IMG_20220121_164238742.jpg

Next, since the yoghurt-moss mix works as a dry start, I also added all sorts of small-leaved plants in the substrate. Covered the tank with foil. Now wait for a month...

IMG_20220121_171534047.jpg

CHJ

Well it already looks better than any aquascaping I have done.
I should go look at the Spec 3 I sealed and left next to a window years ago in an attempt to grow dwarf hair grass.

ruud

IMG_20220201_154940372.jpg

Of course I couldn't wait for a whole month... I've noticed new leaves everywhere, so I decided to add water, shrimps and snails. It is still nowhere near what I have in mind; which is unorganized green all across the tank, with orange rili shrimp and blue posthorn snails popping-out. Patience...

I'll make a few more images from different angles as well as a few close-ups once the green is becoming more dominant.

ruud

10 days later, almost untouched. The filter intake has caught more plant matter. Dropped some food supplements for shrimp and snails. Hardly any difference from 10 days ago; staurogyne repens in the back, behind the "tree" on the left, being the notable exception; it grows strongly upwards in low tech conditions.
IMG_20220211_100210023.jpg

1Sushi1

Jungle style aquascape....meaning that this tank will be totally covered with plants in chaotic fashion. It is probably the easiest style in aquascaping.

Tank
  • Rimless 8.5 gallon/32,4 liters
  • Footprint: 24 inch/60 cm in length, 12 inch/30 cm deep
  • Height: 7 inch/18 cm height
  • 5mm glass thickness
Scape
  • Substrate: Tropica acquasoil powder
  • Hardscape: several pieces of spiderwood
The top of the two trunks are supposed to stick out and will be covered with mosses. I sawn off the tops so that it remains wet even if the water level is lowered during holidays. I tested it for a few weeks (also to waterlog the wood) and the top remained wet.

IMG_20220121_102129161.jpg

Next, I added more smaller pieces of wood, took out most of the water, and painted the wood with a mix of yoghurt and several different mosses. I fear that I didn't add enough moss.

IMG_20220121_164238742.jpg

Next, since the yoghurt-moss mix works as a dry start, I also added all sorts of small-leaved plants in the substrate. Covered the tank with foil. Now wait for a month...

IMG_20220121_171534047.jpg
Yougart/ moss mix? Can you elaborate? I recently saw a similar teqnique only this was to cover large a concrete garden statue but this was for OUTDOORS, not in a fish tank. She used buttermilk and spagman moss (spell?) that she just pulled from a tree in her yard. Added both in a blender then painted it on the statue and covered it with foil. After about a week or so she had a moss covered statue! What kind of moss do you use?

ruud

It's pretty much similar. The yoghurt method is primarily a "dry start", so should be executed emersed. Growing emersed; so moss has access to higher levels of CO2 and you don't have to worry about algae. The role of yoghurt is a bit debatable; but in any case, very small in my opinion.

I use a mix of weeping moss (Vesicularia ferriei) and Fissidens fontanus.

ruud

Update on this tank...different tank.
I took the wood/root scape out and placed it in a tank with similar footprint (24 inch/60 cm in length, 12 inch/30 cm deep), but is somewhat higher
It has a few Caridina shrimp in it and a couple of Dario tigris that already reproduced in this tank.
The "carpet" plants are lagging a bit, but I have the patience. If the carpets are double or triple in size, I might make a sand part in the front.

jungle.jpg

Look... plastic

IMG_20220729_172956308.jpg

Fissidens fontanus

IMG_20220729_173019626_HDR.jpg

Dario couple

IMG_20220729_173340429_HDR.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ruud
Replies