Jungle Fungus Clear kills Biological Filtration? Help! Vacationing soon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by red_ibis, Mar 20, 2010.

1. r

red_ibis New Member Member

Jungle Fungus Clear kills Biological Filtration? Night Owls, Help!

Recently we had a male guppy who had some white-edged nasty stuff on his tail, which recently turned red. We concluded it was the beginning of some tail rot fungus, and today we bought Jungle Labs Fungus Clear and used it on our 20-gal tank.

After using it (always after), I read that the active ingredient Methylene Blue kills off your biological filtration bacteria!!! Our tank just recently finished its' cycle, with ammonia at 0 and Nitrites at ~.2 with the last test yesterday.

Immediately, I removed the sponge and the Biomax bag from our Aquaclear 70-gal filter and put them in plastic bags in the fridge with a bit of the old aquarium water from before we used Fungus clear (lucky we had a bit, we were soaking the carbon in there) Added a bit of special blend to try and save whatever is left. Removed the anacharis because I also read it kills your plants.

I'm very worried that the Fungus clear will shut down the newly-established cycle very fast, but the worst part is that I have to leave tomorrow and I won't be back until a week later...and I'm really dreading returning to a tank full of dead fish:'( (right after we got it right too!)

Is there anyone out there who has used Fungus Clear with a bad effect on their biological filtration and live plants (specifically anacharis)? What would be the best course of action right now?

Any help would be so so much appreciated, hopefully I'll get some responses before I have to leave tomorrow (4AM)

Basic Stats
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - ~0.2
    Temp - ~82
    ph/nitrate - NA no test

Tank - 20gal with Aquaclear 70 filter

Fish
    10 guppies
    6 zebra danios

Night owls, help me save my tank!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore Red. :;hi2

I've never used that particular product before but I have used other Methylene Blue based products. Seeing as your about to go away & the tank is still finishing cycling, it's not really an ideal time to have any medications in the tank. The really bad news is that putting your filter material in the fridge with some aquarium water is probably going to kill the bacteria as well. You would be better off leaving the sealed bag in the tank so that the proper temperature is maintained.

If it were my tank I would probably put some carbon in the filter to remove the medication. Leave the carbon in over night & then right before you go away, remove the carbon, put your other filter media back into the filter & then do a 50% water change.

If there is someone you can trust to come over & do a water change for you while your away it would be a very good idea. Also don't feed the fish for the week that your away. The food will just increase the ammonia levels & the fish will be fine with no food for a week. Hopefully the water conditions would stay pretty good while your away & you won't find a bunch of dead fish when you return.

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    when it rains it pours doesnt it
    I agree with nutter....your tank isnt cycled yet as you have a nitrite reading :( so the daily changes are needed until it does......follow his advice for the best result...I hope things are ok !!

4. OP
    OP
    r

red_ibis New Member Member

Thanks so much for the feedback! While waiting for replies, I read up a bit more after the initial scare, and it turns out that we did pretty much what Nutter suggested before we left.

Put back the carbon and let it run the rest of the night for a while to remove the medication, and then did a 50% water change and replaced the filter sponge media right before we left. At least we did something (kinda) right!

We did use one of Tetra's gel-packaged vacation foods because we're expecting guppy babies and have several fry in the tank right now, and they need the food? I was pretty sure the adults would be fine, but I was worried about the fry :(
    Now I'm wondering if it was a bad idea, although we did cut the amount of food to half the prescribed amount because we were worried about the ammonia levels.

agh! I wish there was some sort of trustworthy fish-sitting service, it would reduce my stress by so much!

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

The food probably wasn't the best idea. The fry would be able to find plenty of food in the tank, especially seeing as there are plants in there. Do you have a family member or friend that has a key & can go over to check if things are going ok? Perhaps if you do you can get them to remove the food & perhaps even provide detailed instructions to them on how to do a small water change.

Either way I wish you & your fish the best of luck. Hopefully the water change will be enough to get them through the week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice