Jungle Fungus Clear Fizz Tabs question

Mel Tanner

Hello Everyone, As most of you know i've been trying to save a sick betta I got from my job with fin-rot. I believe that he has a secondary infection that is fugus in nature. (Since at my job I was informed that the live plant he was with has a fungus!!!) So I got some Jungle Fungus clear. Now I know they're for 10 gal tanks and atm I have my fishy in a one gal hospital tank inside his 5 gal tank (so he can stay warm). I already was gonna break the pill up into 8ths and put only 1/8 of a tablet in a dixie cup then pour it into fishys 1gal hosptal tank

My question is with the jungle fungus clear do I

A)Do 50% water changes still or no?
B) Does it interact with aqaurarium salt?
C) Does it interact with prime?

Once I know the answeres to these I can do fishy's 50% water change and add the meds.

Thank you in advance and i'm sure fishy thanks you as well

EricV

If those are what I think they are they are basically just malachite green (check the label/ingredients) in tablet form. It works great but there a few things to keep in kind with it.

1. It stains. Plastics, decorations, gravel, even the silicon seams in a tank will most likely be turned permanently green/blue. Long story short don't use it with anything you don't want stained.

2. It kills invertebrates. If you have any snails/shrimp etc get them out first. They won't survive.

3. It lowers available oxygen. Increase the aeration for your tank (though this is far less of an issue with a betta).

4. It is removed by carbon. If you have carbon in your filter pull it out or it will remove the medication before it can work.

5. Many fish are sensitive to malachite green. Fortunately bettas are not one of these but you'll want to keep it in mind for any future use.

In response to your questions...

Follow the instructions for water changes on the packaging.
No salt does not effect it.
Prime doesn't either.

Mel Tanner

Thank you I added this to my one gal tank it turned it a funky green color it says after 4 days if u need to add more do a 25% water change so it sounds like I can't do any more daily water changes for 4 days. If that's the case I'll keep an eye on the ammoiona lvls and add prime to nutrilize it for awhile and hopefully this can help fishy because I saw more fungus on his tail

EricV

Glad I could help

Crunchy

Be careful with malachite green, wear gloves and mask. It's not healthy for human exposure.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views
Whitewolf
Replies
Views