Jumpstarting New Tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stevieb246, Jan 7, 2019.

1. stevieb246Valued MemberMember

How long should I leave my new uncycled sponges in my sump before putting them in service in my new tanks?

2. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

It won’t do anything unless your bioload is above your current filtration capacity. There won’t be bb on it unless there’s enough ammonia to feed the bacteria. If your tank is already cycled then there’s no more ammonia to feed new bacteria

3. stevieb246Valued MemberMember

So you're telling me that I'll get zero bacteria on my sponges? That contradicts everything I've ever read.

If what you're saying is correct, then theoretically all I need to do is overfeed my fish. If so, how long?

4. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

It'll take about 4-6 weeks if you don't have an airstone in the filter for flow. With an airstone, 2-4 weeks.

5. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Does More Media Always Equal More Bacteria? Read this. I’m not sure how long but overfeeding your fish isn’t a good idea

6. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

You link a thread of your own to support your own comment? And with only 2 responses and now it's gospel? Really????

7. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Not to support my own comment but to inform that no ammonia equals 0 bacteria on another piece of media if your tank is cycled. Let’s not start an argument here

8. stevieb246Valued MemberMember

I'm gonna give it another week and put the new sponge and some fish in.

I appreciate the input, but I dont believe that adding the sponges to an established tank won't allow any bacteria to colonize.

I understand the theory you're using. But who's to say that the bacteria to ammonia ratio is perfect? To believe I've achieved 100% homeostasis is a long shot.

9. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Maybe the OP wasn't clear but from my understanding, he has an established tank with a sump. He wants to put a new sponge filter in the sump to cycle it for a new tank he's planning on setting up. BB will grow on every surface water touches so it will seed the new sponge but slowly w/o water flow thru the pores.

10. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Agree with your understanding. A little bit of bb might grow but most likely not enough to cycle another tank. The op will still have to grow enough bacteria to support the bioload of all the fish in the new tank even if you got some bb from a cycled tank

11. stevieb246Valued MemberMember

You're right. I wasnt really clear that it's an established system I'm placing the media in.