20 Gallon Tank Jumping into Salty side

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I have been thinking about setting up a 20 gal with some Anemones and a clown. Any guides on how to do this? Want to start slow on this. Thanks.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sweet!!!!!

I'm still very new at saltwater, so the only advice I have is to make sure you know which species of clownfish you want before you go into the LFS. There are apparently some species of clown that get very very large. I almost made a major "whoops" due to lack of knowledge.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I checking them out just a minute ago. Thanks.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you'll need to be on top of the evaperated water everday with that size tank. i would start out at 1.020 or maybe 1.018 for the specific gravity as it will go up pretty fast in a small tank if R/O water is not added. but if you start to add corals to the tank you'll need to raise it up very slowly to 1.025. jmho
Don

obtw cover the intakes of any filter with a sponge at not to suck up the Anemones..not a pretty sight.

Last edited:

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you'll need to be on top of the evaperated water everday with that size tank. i would start out at 1.020 or maybe 1.018 for the specific gravity as it will go up pretty fast in a small tank if R/O water is not added. but if you start to add corals to the tank you'll need to raise it up very slowly to 1.025. jmho
Don

obtw cover the intakes of any filter with a sponge at not to suck up the Anemones..not a pretty sight.
What size of tank do you recommend to start with? I have 2 20h and 2 20L I was looking around on CL for a 40 or 50 Corner Tank I have some space it might fit in.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
50 Corner tank would be great. stack the live rock in the back and it leaves lots of free swimming space in the front. but i'm not saying you can't do a 20.. I have a 10gal its just more work...

Just so you know.. Anemones will move around the tank untill they find a place where they are happy. just dont want you to think its going to stay where you put it if it don't like it..i had one that liked the back side of a rock once. don't know why....took me weeks of moving the filter around untill i made him mad enought to move..lol

Last edited:

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
cooooooooool im envious! now send me all your africans as you will be way to busy with the salties ;D

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What kind of anenomies do you want? I would research a lot before starting. Also anemones need a lot of light. I was going to start up a salty but after reading into it I changed my mind.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well for now I'm doing a lot of research till I'm dead on of what I want and can have. Big difference in wanting and can have. haha.

Shawnie. I don't think you got room for more tanks unless you get your beds out of the house to put tanks there. hahahaha. If you see my 100 gal tank you go nuts. There's so many fish there. BTW I have to move my 100 gal to the fish room and I don't know how I'm going to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DUZ8ndx4-U

Last edited:

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shawnie. I don't think you got room for more tanks unless you get your beds out of the house to put tanks there. hahahaha. If you see my 100 gal tank you go nuts. There's so many fish there. BTW I have to move my 100 gal to the fish room and I don't know how I'm going to do it.
my africans took a huge hit from the 5 days of power loss...gill flukes got them im down to 10 fish ...but im sure id go nuts !!!! LOL

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom