Jumping Bettas

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how high Bettas can jump? I am just curious.

CherryRose

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've heard they can clear the top of a tank and end up on the floor.  Rose had one, Emma, jump from her tank. 

Now, Gainsborough was doing a little jumping to get food at feeding time this morning.  But, he never came out of the water.

Mike

OneMom

Reaction score
Angel could jump out of the tank in a flash. She used to jump out of the water every time she saw me coming to feed her. However, when she was sick recently, she jumped..landed in the water with her body slightly curved, and then just slowly drifted limply to the bottom. She stayed on the bottom, not moving, for a good long minute. I was convinced she had died & I literally felt sick to my stomach. Then she slowly straightened out & swam to the surface.

Since that day I try to feed her extremely quickly - before she can jump! My heart can't take the stress of seeing that ever again!

Wendy

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard that too, but how many inches away from the top of the water was it to the top of the tank?  Anybody that had one jump out, it would be great to hear from you.

CherryRose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mr Red Jumped out once. I was cleaning his tank and he decided he was going to jump out. He scared the **** out of me. Since then I started taking him out and putting him in his 1 gallon while I cleaned it because atleast it was covered and he couldn't jump out. He was a stinker. I sure do miss him a lot. It's so strange to see the tank empty. Natale

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My hood is about 2 inches above the surface of the water and Emma got out a 3/4" hole in that hood.  She had to be able to jump that far and hit a rather small target.  They are STRONG.  Misty used to come out of the water all the way when she was going to get peas, she loved them so much.  She was about 1" long with her fins at the time so she was tiny.  If a betta fry (basically what she was) could come out of the water that far, an adult or youngster that has heavier muscle could easily clear a couple of inches.  As long as the tank is covered there is no problem.  If you happen to have a tank with no cover, I would cover it with a piece of plexiglas or glass.  The Kritter Keeper boxes are great for keeping little ones and the light that is made for them covers the hole that is made for feeding and such completely and I got an extra large one the other day for a new quarantine tank  I had used a new bucket before in a pinch but this set-up will have a lid and light and all will be thoroughly closed.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. Do you have to put a sponge filter in the kritter keepers or can you put one of the outside hanging ones in? If so, how do you get the lid to the kritter keeper over the filter? Can you safely cut a hole in the lid? My only other option is the corner filter, which wants to float. Suggestions anyone?

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
By-the-way, I have been keeping my kritter keeper covered with plastic canvas net found in the craft stores. It works very well, but isn't very good looking. I want to get a light for the top of the kritter keeper, but it won't do me very much good if I can't put the lid on the tank.

I thought maybe if I put the water down from the top about 4 inches, it maght be safe for the betta without the unattractive top. That would still leave the filter problem though.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The Kritter Keepen has a small knockout hole in the corner of the lid for an airline to go in. The sponge filter is in my tank now and I have little JT in it waiting for his tank to be ready and his quarantine time to be over. The new one is not the one he is in and his is not that big but it was my Plant tank and was easily ready for him to spend a couple of weeks in. The pictures below show the sponge filter in the corner and the heater (Visi-therm Stealth 25 watt) in the background. As I said the other new tank is about 2 times as big but I have not had time to set it up and the 12 gallon will be here very soon so he can go in there when it is set up. I will use the sponge filter in there and some Bio-spira (I always keep some on hand) to get him in there right away. If I were going to use only a sponge filter in the large tank there would have to be a bigger one as this one is only good to 10 gallons but it will only be in there as an extra in case of a need for the q tank. Then I added a picture of the airline tubing knockout in the corner. I did have to cut a small hole in the back of the lid for the cord for the heater.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the decorations in your tank. It looks very nice. I guess I am going to have to get a sponge filter and a light if I want to be able to use my kritter keeper. Thanks for the information and pictures, Rose. In the meantime, I have this really nice Whisper filter in the kritter keeper, which means I can't put the lid on and have to temporarily keep it covered with the plastic canvas. (sigh)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom