Jumping Betta

Kuebeecee

New Member
Member
Messages
27
Reaction score
10
Location
Tucson, Arizona
Experience
Just started
So I thought I would share a video of my Betta jumping. He has become very feisty when I open the lid and likes to jump at my fingers during feeding time. Sorry for the poor video quality, but you get it. I can’t help but laugh every time I see him opening his mouth in mid-air.

 

Orion1066

Active Member
Member
Messages
142
Reaction score
70
Location
Davidson
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kuebeecee said:
So I thought I would share a video of my Betta jumping. He has become very feisty when I open the lid and likes to jump at my fingers during feeding time. Sorry for the poor video quality, but you get it. I can’t help but laugh every time I see him opening his mouth in mid-air.

Well done. Take a bow.
 

CheshireKat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
517
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
That's nothing; one of my female bettas jumps up out of the water at every meal, requiring a lower water level by a couple inches for her own safety and my own sanity. My male betta does a sort of lunge like yours, while my other female betta couldn't be bothered with that sort of work xD
 

Orion1066

Active Member
Member
Messages
142
Reaction score
70
Location
Davidson
Experience
5 to 10 years
CheshireKat said:
That's nothing; one of my female bettas jumps up out of the water at every meal, requiring a lower water level by a couple inches for her own safety and my own sanity. My male betta does a sort of lunge like yours, while my other female betta couldn't be bothered with that sort of work xD
Looks like I may need to spend more time training Perry.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Kuebeecee

Kuebeecee

New Member
Member
Messages
27
Reaction score
10
Location
Tucson, Arizona
Experience
Just started
Orion1066 said:
Looks like I may need to spend more time training Perry.
It’s funny, with my guy it just kind of happened. During feeding time he became more interested in looking at me and wouldn’t come to his spot. I started sticking my finger in the water to get his attention and from that point on he made jumping a routine. He seems to get feistier and feistier the more he does it. It’s like he has unlocked a power he didn’t know about!
 

Orion1066

Active Member
Member
Messages
142
Reaction score
70
Location
Davidson
Experience
5 to 10 years
T
Kuebeecee said:
It’s funny, with my guy it just kind of happened. During feeding time he became more interested in looking at me and wouldn’t come to his spot. I started sticking my finger in the water to get his attention and from that point on he made jumping a routine. He seems to get feistier and feistier the more he does it. It’s like he has unlocked a power he didn’t know about!
That does sound like the behavior that Bettas are known for. I will see if I can interest Perry is some small scale acrobatics to get started. I have time to spend.
 

CheshireKat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
517
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
Kuebeecee said:
I started sticking my finger in the water to get his attention and from that point on he made jumping a routine
My jumping betta is so focused on my fingers at feeding time that she totally misses that food was dropped. I usually have to literally point it out! It's a bit frustrating although somehow endearing also. She'll eat right off my fingers. When I'm doing work in the tank, she'll come up and nibble on me, which can be startling.
 

Orion1066

Active Member
Member
Messages
142
Reaction score
70
Location
Davidson
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I have not yet been startled by my Betta. Surprised, yes. Startled, no. I am going to start working on the hand feeding. It sounds promising, Kat.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Kuebeecee

Kuebeecee

New Member
Member
Messages
27
Reaction score
10
Location
Tucson, Arizona
Experience
Just started
Orion1066 said:
Well, I have not yet been startled by my Betta. Surprised, yes. Startled, no. I am going to start working on the hand feeding. It sounds promising, Kat.
I hope you see some jumping soon! My Betta seems to like it so much he can’t eat without jumping now. Even if it’s just jumping at the pellets.
 

Orion1066

Active Member
Member
Messages
142
Reaction score
70
Location
Davidson
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kuebeecee said:
I hope you see some jumping soon! My Betta seems to like it so much he can’t eat without jumping now. Even if it’s just jumping at the pellets.

I do believe will need to spend more time around Perry. He does seem to recognize me, as he always seems to appear on the same side of the tank where I am. I know he lives a solitary live, along in his Betta Mini-Bow tank. Still, he does enjoy company, and being around people.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
211
Guests online
3,914
Total visitors
4,125

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom