Jumping Betta

Goldmoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello everyone! I am a bit worried right now. So I walked into the room where I keep my fish and I noticed that the female betta that I’m treating for ich was stuck to the side of the cup I had her in temporarily (just until I freed up a bigger space for her to be treated in. The water was clean in the cup so I don’t think she was jumping to try to find a better body of water. She lived in that cup in the pet store for probably way more than just a day anyways.) I got her back in the water and kept an eye on her. She started jumping out of the water and landing on her side, upside down, hitting the lid and just kinda just floating there. I of course knew that bettas jump but I’ve never seen jumping this aggressively. What is she doing? I feed my fish every morning and night so I don’t think she was looking for food or jumping to try to get to better water. I’ll move her into a bigger space tonight. Maybe the ich was getting to her? Her fins are clamped because of the ich and she has horizontal black stress bars on her sides. I’ve really grown attached to her and I would hate to lose her if she suffocated (even thought I know they can survive out of the water for a while) and I’m doing everything I can to treat the ich. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I moved her into the bigger “hospital” tank

CocoCappuccino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Goldmoon said:
Hello everyone! I am a bit worried right now. So I walked into the room where I keep my fish and I noticed that the female betta that I’m treating for ich was stuck to the side of the cup I had her in temporarily (just until I freed up a bigger space for her to be treated in. The water was clean in the cup so I don’t think she was jumping to try to find a better body of water. She lived in that cup in the pet store for probably way more than just a day anyways.) I got her back in the water and kept an eye on her. She started jumping out of the water and landing on her side, upside down, hitting the lid and just kinda just floating there. I of course knew that bettas jump but I’ve never seen jumping this aggressively. What is she doing? I feed my fish every morning and night so I don’t think she was looking for food or jumping to try to get to better water. I’ll move her into a bigger space tonight. Maybe the ich was getting to her? Her fins are clamped because of the ich and she has horizontal black stress bars on her sides. I’ve really grown attached to her and I would hate to lose her if she suffocated (even thought I know they can survive out of the water for a while) and I’m doing everything I can to treat the ich. Thanks in advance!
The main reason that bettas jump out of their tanks/enclosures is because the environment they're put in is too small, which would be the cup.

Do you know the temp of the water? How long was she in the cup for? Waste can build up very quickly, especially in a tiny cup.

How are you treating the ich?

OP
Goldmoon

Goldmoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CocoCappuccino said:
The main reason that bettas jump out of their tanks/enclosures is because the environment they're put in is too small, which would be the cup.

Do you know the temp of the water? How long was she in the cup for? Waste can build up very quickly, especially in a tiny cup.

How are you treating the ich?
Temp is about 75 but I’ll slowly raise it. She was only in the cup for about 24 hours and I made sure the water was clean (I would never keep my fish in anything they would die/ not be okay in. Besides, she was probably in that cup for a week or longer at the pet store. I just needed somewhere to keep her temporarily until I freed up the “hospital” tank.) I’m using a medicine called Nox-Ich which has been really effective in treating ich for me in the past. I did move her into the bigger tank so water quality will no longer be an issue. I’ll still clean it every other day or so to help the ich and make sure that the water quality is good. I’m very attached to her and I hope she doesn’t jump onto the side of the “hospital” tank tonight. I’d hate to come in and see her dead.

Thanks for the reply!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Were you treating inside the cup with Nox-Ich while you were freeing up the hospital tank? If that is the case the water quality would have been the issue (as most bettas do not like being stuck in medicated water without more space and often will try to escape from it as it is very hard to dose right in the small cup - normally a couple drops at most, it is only about 10oz of water).

OP
Goldmoon

Goldmoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mcasella said:
Were you treating inside the cup with Nox-Ich while you were freeing up the hospital tank? If that is the case the water quality would have been the issue (as most bettas do not like being stuck in medicated water without more space and often will try to escape from it as it is very hard to dose right in the small cup - normally a couple drops at most, it is only about 10oz of water).
No I did not medicate the cup. I waited until the hospital tank was free because I also didn’t want to accidentally overdose her and kill her. The directions for the Nox Ich call for one drop of meds per gallon of freshwater so I didn’t want to risk it.

New Threads