Jumping betta

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Last night I was doing my water change in my betta’s tank. Instead of a net I use a little bowl. So he was in this bowl when I left with his tank to go down stares. When I came back he was no longer in the bowl! He had jumped out. I was freaking, as I had been down stares cleaning his tank for a bit. He keped wiggling and I could not get him. My dad finally got him and put him in the water. Poor guy was freaking out! He was covered in dog and cat hair. He looks fine this morning so all is good.

I think I will be naming him Aquarius what do you think?

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i's name him amazing just because the little snot likes adventure lol anyway good luck with him sounds like he will be a handful lol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do keep trying to tell everyone that you do not have to remove a Betta from there tank to change the water. I have done as much as a 75% water change in my tanks and left my fish in the tank and they did just fine. You should never remove more than that anyway because it disturbs the cycle. You are taking a real chance of damaging or seriously injuring your fish by continuously removing him from the tank. Just leave him in there and take the old water out and put new water in. He will be fine.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Name him leaper because he "leaped" out of the bowl
Rose is right, you really don't have to take him out. They even seem to enjoy the fresh water coming back in .
Carol

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The only time I've removed Rusty is when I'm trying to do a gravel vacuuming, because he keeps getting in the way. However he enjoys water changes, he finds the water coming in fascinating and will actually come and watch.

Not all bettas will jump but I actually have one of those little betta bowls for just the purpose of having to possibly remove my fish from the tank. Is the little bowl you use see through? Bettas want to know what's going on around him and he may have just been curious.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
No it was not see through.

I do 40% waterchanges 2 times every week. But this week i neaded to do the gravel so i had to take him out.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well this is probly very bad but ur container that isn't see through depending on the height u could try not filling it so high just a suggestion or what most ppl do is u just get a clear container

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a red female Betta named,what else,'Red',and feeding her is always a harrowing experience,because she leaps pretty high out of her tank to get to her food everytime!..it's gotten to the point that if you click your fingers over her tank,she'll leap up..maybe I should name her 'Shamu'..my girlfriend had a Betta some years ago that was such a leaper that when she was doing a water-change,all she had to do was place the bowl with clean water next to the tank,click her fingers and he would leap out of his tank into the bowl without missing,everytime!!..I suppose since I have five Bettas,I should be glad only one is a leaper...Your little guy will be ok I'm sure,and I love his color!

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Butterfly said:
Name him leaper because he "leaped" out of the bowl
Rose is right, you really don't have to take him out. They even seem to enjoy the fresh water coming back in .
Carol
that is really a matter of opionion Inari hates water changes I have him in a filterless envirnment but i'm getting him filters, heater, a 5 or 10 galllon tank and some friends and plants that he should like this weekend but since I have an unfiltered environment the NH4, NO3-, NO2- can build up to high levels so about once a month he gets put into a temp container for about 25 minutes and I do a massive cleaning of his tank and he is as happy as can be when he gets back in there

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When i first got Inari he tried about 6-7 times to leap out of his bowl onto the counter it was actually kinda funny tho cause i had the lid on and i'd hear it hit the floor while he was trying to get out it was funny but he finally gave up and now he has moved on to biting me whenever i stick my finger in his tank even it i have food on my finger lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom