Jumped out of water!

Danni524

So, I was scooping some extra food out of my tank and rested the net to dry between the hood part that lifts up (I do this all the time when I use the net). The actual hood was only open maybe an inch or two. Anyway, my DG jumped out of the tank onto the floor. I don't know how long he was out, but when I found him, he wasn't moving, but I tried to put him back just in case. To his luck, he was still alive, but barely! I noticed his fins some how got ripped in multiple places (I'm assuming from him thrashing around on the floor), and his face is very bruised and he is now gasping and swimming a bit cocked to the side, but only a little bit before going back to the bottom of the tank for a rest. He fell about three to four feet to the ground. Is there anything I can do to help him? I love this fish he is my first fish that wasn't a betta.

TheGeeko

Hello! My betta fish jumped out of his tank at one point too and he did some similar things. I added API Stress Coat as well as Melafix. From my understanding and the research I did at the time, being exposed to air can damage the fish's slime coat, and those medications can help with that. I personally found that this worked and my betta Kai is still kicking around! While it was really stressful to watch him when I added him back into the tank, I found that time helped him more than anything. Every minute he was in there he got better. He got over the effects completely the next day, but he must have only been out of the tank for 5 minutes or so. I really hope this helps. Best wishes!

Upvote 0

RandiAlayna16

We had the same thing happen with our Comet Goldfish. Was covered in dog hair, ripped all his fins and lost a bunch of scales. I used 5 tbsp Salt per gallon for 1 week and Melafix for 1 week and his fins are gorgeous and the scales are growing back slowly. Try some frozen peas shelled and crushed up for nutrition for the unbalanced swimming. That also helped our Bubbles when he wasnt swimming right after his fall.
Hope that helps with your lil guy <3

Upvote 0

Gel0city

I agree what everyone else is saying. A couple of years ago my guppy jumped out of the bag (transfering to my main tank) and it hit the floor pretty hard. When I put her back though, she seemed scared and darted away, but she recovered with time + Prime. I would add StressCoat because your situation seems more severe, and probably salt is a good choice. I would watch out about salt if you have live plants or snails/shrimp. Don't go more than the required amount.

Upvote 0

Danni524

I agree what everyone else is saying. A couple of years ago my guppy jumped out of the bag (transfering to my main tank) and it hit the floor pretty hard. When I put her back though, she seemed scared and darted away, but she recovered with time + Prime. I would add StressCoat because your situation seems more severe, and probably salt is a good choice. I would watch out about salt if you have live plants or snails/shrimp. Don't go more than the required amount.
We had the same thing happen with our Comet Goldfish. Was covered in dog hair, ripped all his fins and lost a bunch of scales. I used 5 tbsp Salt per gallon for 1 week and Melafix for 1 week and his fins are gorgeous and the scales are growing back slowly. Try some frozen peas shelled and crushed up for nutrition for the unbalanced swimming. That also helped our Bubbles when he wasnt swimming right after his fall.
Hope that helps with your lil guy <3
Hello! My betta fish jumped out of his tank at one point too and he did some similar things. I added API Stress Coat as well as Melafix. From my understanding and the research I did at the time, being exposed to air can damage the fish's slime coat, and those medications can help with that. I personally found that this worked and my betta Kai is still kicking around! While it was really stressful to watch him when I added him back into the tank, I found that time helped him more than anything. Every minute he was in there he got better. He got over the effects completely the next day, but he must have only been out of the tank for 5 minutes or so. I really hope this helps. Best wishes!
Thank you everyone for the replies! Unfortunately, my local pet shop is closed until 10 am so I cannot get the Stress Coat. Hopefully, Sweet Potato will make until until tomorrow. I don't want to try the salt if it can be bad for snails and shrimp as I have both. I'll keep y'all updated!

Upvote 0

Fisheye

Sorry this happened. Nothing to do at all but turn the light out for the rest of the night and do a water change tomorrow. No further stress and no need to add anything. Sweet Potato just needs clean water for now. Hoping for a favorable update!

Upvote 0

Danni524

Hey, everyone, I went to go do a water change today like Fisheye suggested before going to get some stress coat, but Sweet Potato did not make it through the night unfortunately. Thank you for your help, it was much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Fisheye

I'm so very sorry to hear about Sweet Potato. When you feel up to it, it would be nice to see a photo of him from the past, and maybe read the story about how he came to be with you.

Upvote 0

Danni524

I wasn't looking to get anymore fish when I got him since I just had my betta of 2 years die from a tumor, but I kept my tank set up for my snails. I went into my pet shop to get things for my dog and hamster, and decided to just go look at the fish. Honestly, the fish keeping hobby is addicting. I found him and another DG in the same tank swimming together with no signs of aggression. Then I couldn't help myself. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of listening to the employee that they were a pair and could be housed in my tank (5g) together. They were both males, so I'm sure you can guess how that went. They are actually the reason I joined fishlore. Long story short, I ended up re homing the other DG because I didn't have the room for two tanks big enough for each of them. Then I went to the store again and upgraded him to a 20g. I eventually added some tank mates for him, but he was my centerpiece fish. After he got into his new tank, his colors became so vibrant and he started to not be afraid of me. He would come up to the glass and almost wiggle when I came up. Although, he also got fearless of me, if I put my hand into the water to do anything, he usually nipped me a few times haha He was my first fish that wasn't a betta. He was a bossy little thing, but so fun to watch and have.

Attachments

• IMG_3843.jpg
    IMG_3843.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

RandiAlayna16

Im so sorry for your loss. I was rlly pulling for your lil guy

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bwood22