Julli Cory Catfish Swimming Issues

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by junrei, Aug 2, 2015.

1. junreiValued MemberMember

So, I couldn't find my catfish the other night. I figured, she's a catfish, she's probably just hiding. I finally found her and she seemed fine (I say she because I gave her a girl's name). Later tonight when I went to feed them, she seemed off and wasn't moving. I put my net in to gently touch her to see if she responded. She seemed dead. I went to net her and she swam a little but she keeps lying on her side and back and doesn't seem well. I started looking at forums to see if I could find some help. Going off that, I check for blotting but didn't see anything obvious. She's upright for the moment, but I'm worried that she's not 100% ok and might have a swim bladder issue. I don't see any other signs of illness.

Water conditions: <5ppm ammonia and nitrites (quite close to 0) and ~20ppm nitrates, 78F, and 20% water change on the 29th of July. Only thing different I can know was I turned off my airpump but I have a 10G tank and only two tetras other than the catfish (I'm being careful not to induce a mini-cycle by adding too many fish at once) and she isn't gasping for air. I treated the water with a dechlorinator and a water conditioner from Top Fin. My tetra's seem fine (and more active than usual actually, swimming closer to the surface).

Think it might be a swim bladder issue?

P.S. my water is on the harder side. I don't know why though.

2. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Seems like it could be a swim bladder issue. You might want to try feeding her a pea and making sure you're not overfeeding her

3. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Even just .25 ppm ammonia or nitrites is very poisonous to fish. But I agree, sounds like swim bladder. Generally if it's not treated almost immediately (from my experience) there is a low survival rate :(
    A softened pea will help relieve the bloating. I'm sorry to hear about your fishy :(

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

If I were you I would do a water change, try to get ammonia down to zero. I rescued a betta that hat fin rot and swim bladder disorder, and he's still with me, so there's still hope! Good luck :)

5. OP
    OP
    j

junreiValued MemberMember

I don't have an ammonia testing kit. The water I brought in to petsmart was tested by an associate and deemed fine for a cory cat. I started the tank about 3-4 weeks ago if that info helps. I'll try feeding her a skinned pea but I don't think she's going to make it.

I can't get her to eat the pea. After more observation she can swim around but she is usually upside-down and went face-first into the gravel a few times. She can make it to the top of the tank (did it when I was trying to photograph her). Maybe she'll live.

I'm going to upload a photo of her if that helps at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    j

Ok, here's a better photo of what's going on.

What sucks is that I can't do anything to help as it's 2:00am and I can't force her to eat the pea.
    I also have some video I shot. I don't know if it will help.  

On the positive side, my neon tettras are doing great.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  7. Et tuValued MemberMember

The cory looks emaciated. Don't be alarmed but when they act as your fish is death is close. As it was previously stated, any amount of ammonia/nitrite is dangerous. Your tank isn't cycled yet.
    Daily water changes, and ammonia/nitrite binders/detox are needed. You also need a water test kit. Sorry you are going through this.

8. OP
    OP
    j

Yeah, I'm doing what I can, but I don't have high hopes of her living. I can't sleep knowing that I'm helpless. I've added about 5 ml of Tetra Safestart + to the tank after I changed 25% of the water out. Hopefully that helps. I guess Thing 1 and Thing 2 (my tetras) are more hardy/resilient.
    I do have a test kit. It measures NO3- NO2-, pH, GH and KH. I don't have a way to measure ammonia though.

9. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Okay, there is no way the fish has a swim bladder issue. The symptoms are not right.

The problem in all likelihood is that you have corydoras in too small a tank, on gravel substrate, with ammonia present in the water.

Does the fish have any barbels left? Your gravel doesn't look very smooth. This is why Cories are generally best kept on sand substrate. The symptoms are a perfect match to barbel loss.

If you want to keep your cories, move that one to QT in a barebottom tank and see if it recovers. Switch your substrate out for sand, and preferably get a more suitably sized tank that can handle their bioload. You'll also need a liquid test kit for successful fishkeeping. Can't keep fish healthy without knowing what's going on in their water.

10. OP
    OP
    j

The whiskers (barbels right?) are the same length as when I got her on the 29th (a day after my water change). All of her fins are in great shape too. I only have two tetras in there besides, so I wouldn't think that that is overloading the tank. The fish in question is only about an inch long. Sometimes she acts fine, other times, she doesn't. It's really weird.

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ouchhhh. Agree with junebug
    Is the tank cycled? What are you feeding this Cory.
    It's too thin by far !!!

12. OP
    OP
    j

Really, I'm having a bit of problems with overfeeding if anything. I've been using the veggie tablets that stick to the tank.

...I'm a monster aren't I?

13. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Cories aren't really veggie eaters, they need most of their diet to be meat based. She does look quite emaciated to me as well :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. DoubleDutch

No you're defo not !!!
    But Corys are 99,9% carnivorious.
    Think this is, what I call, algaewafer-syndrom". A common mistake.
    Not given the right food (protein) they'll get ill (and die) for sure.
    So probably you're overfeeding (ammoniareading) but defo not this fellow !!!! Regards Aad

15. OP
    OP
    j

Petsmart apparently thinks differently (which is where I researched long before buying the fish). It's probably too late to drop a shrimp wafer in there eh?

I think I'll check in here before I buy any more fish. I'm not sure about Petsmart's advice right now.

Update: Zhu Li the Julii Cory Catfish has passed away. I thank you all for your help in trying to save her, but I think it was already too late for her.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  16. DoubleDutch

Petsmart's advice was rubbish as it is about the Corys. Probably they are te start of this nutrition-issue !! Sorry you lost it.

17. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I'm sorry she didn't make it :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

18. Et tuValued MemberMember

You bought the fish just a few days ago, I doubt that in that short period of time a healthy fish could become so emaciated. Beware of buying any more livestock from petsmart/petco.

19. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to have you here! :)

I'm very sorry for your loss. :'( R.I.P.

20. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I'm sorry about the Cory :( (Zhu li is an adorable name though, I like the reference) also, cories are a schooling/shoaling fish so if she was solo that probably wouldn't help. Minimum 4-6 but 6 recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice