Julii Corydoras and otocinclus 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by deus ex machina, Mar 28, 2010.

1. deus ex machina

deus ex machina Valued Member Member

I have three of each, going to add 3 or 4 more Julii's in the 29 gal. What are some great community fish to go with my tank, and how many?

Lemon Tetra, Serpae Tetra, Cherry barb, Celestial Pearl Danio, Leopard Danio, Delta Tail Guppies, or other type of guppies, White Cloud Mountain Minnow, different types of corydoras like peppered, emerald corys etc etc

So let me know what you think of the choices, and what your ideas would be, and add any fish i didn't list.

2. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Looks good to me, the only thing might be the cherry barbs, I thought I read somewhere that they can be a little nippy, not too aggressive but not a fish with guppies etc. I have never had them so I might be mistaken.

3. OP
    OP
    deus ex machina

Well Im not gonna add em all, I wouldn't mix any long ins in this tank with barbs xD Maybe not even the tetras or danio either. I was thinking of doing either 6 of one group from the list and maybe another 6 from another group. Otherwise a large group of 12 from one type.

4. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

Might also want to consider Harlequin Rasboras or Cardinal Tetras. I would also recommend adding a few more ottos.

5. OP
    OP
    deus ex machina

I would add more oto's bu they're pretty tough to find in the area, have to wait till fish stores restock.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You don't have to worry about cherry barbs nipping, IME.

7. Tana

Tana Valued Member Member

Would the higher temperature of a heated tank be an issue with White Clouds? I thought they did best in an unheated aquarium?

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You thought right :)

9. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I would go with Harlequin Rasboras & Lemon Tetras. I have them as the main stock in the tank in my sig & they set each other off wonderfully. Celestial Pearls are always winners if you can get them.

10. OP
    OP
    deus ex machina

Yeah Im really pulling towards them because of the looks AND price only a buck a fish xD And Im thinking I might go with the Harlequin Rasboras super pretty fish.

Well I guess this is fortunate although unfortunate as well that when I went to the petco the other day the lady was highly against me putting barbs with any other fish, I'm talking about cherry barbs because of their tendency to be aggressive. But they're dazzling fish and I have pretty fast swimmers in the tank, the oto's are like lightening bolts sometimes. Seriously fastest fish I've seen xD

11. Nutter

Cherry Barbs are pretty peaceful. Just don't keep them with long finned fish like guppies & angels. Other than that Cherry Barbs will leave everything alone. I think the person at your local petstore is thinking of Tiger Barbs as being aggressive. 3/4 of Tetras are more aggressive than Cherry Barbs. I've kept them with dozens of different fish & so long as long fins are avoided, I've never seen one pick on anything else. If you want Cherry Barbs, get them. I would just pick something other than Harlequin Rasboras to go with them. Just because both fish are basically red. I like my fish to contrast each other.

12. OP
    OP
    deus ex machina

Good point, I'll prolly go with the lemons and the cherry's if not the rasboras. What other species of corydoras do you think I should mix my 3 juliis with? I want to get at least 3 or maybe 4 more corys to the bunch

13. Nutter

I would stick with the same sort of Cory. They like to hang out with thier own species & don't hang out that much with other Cory species. That said there's no reason you can't add another 3 of what ever species takes your fancy. I like Sterba's & Adolf's myself.

14. OP
    OP
    deus ex machina

Incredibly difficult to find Adolfs, and never saw a sterba before. The choices are green cory cat, emerald cory, peppered cory, schwartzi cory, julii cory. These types are readily available around here.

15. Nutter

I would probably pick the Emeralds off that list if I wasn't getting more Julii but really it's just which ever species you prefer.

16. OP
    OP
    deus ex machina

Any reason for the emeralds over the peppers or the green?

17. phishyitis

phishyitis Valued Member Member

I have a school of gold pristella tetra with a school of harlequin rasboras and they look great together.Harlequins school pretty tight 70% of the time as long as you have 6 or more.My favorite schooling fish,once used to the tank you can walk by and they won't even try to hide.

18. Nutter

Just personal taste.

19. OP
    OP
    deus ex machina

Sounds cool about the rasboras xD

And gotcha gotcha nutter, thanks for the info guys. So one thing with schooling fish like those cherry barbs or the rasboras, how many can or should I put in a tank at once. I wouldn't want to stress em by not having enough in in the first place. If I'm thnking of doing 7 or 8 of a species.

20. Nutter

Minimum 3 at a time maximum in a fully cycled 29gal I would say 8 at a time. Stick to the middle & get 5 at a time & you shouldn't go far wrong. Just be sure to monitor water parameters after all new introductions to be sure you don't get an ammonia spike. Do water changes if needed.

Also not that Cherry Barbs don't form tigh schools like Tetras & Rasboras. They like the company of thier own kind but won't have that move as one thing that Tetras usually do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice