Julii Corycats

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by zbright, Apr 19, 2017.

1. z

zbright New Member Member

My two julii corydoras appear to have red underneath/near their gills, is this something that I should be concerned about?

2. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

3. OP
    OP
    z

Ammonia and nitrite are both 0, nitrates are about 20

4. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

5. OP
    OP
    z

6. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

What type of gravel? Cories really need a sandy substrate, or at the very least smooth pebbles/pea gravel (mine have aquarium soil substrate). Anything rough or jagged can irritate their bellies and damage their barbels.

7. OP
    OP
    z

Pea gravel i believe.. it's not rough or jagged

8. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Can you give me an approximate size, in mm?

9. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

How long have you had your cories? What size is your tank? Because cories are shoaling fish, they feel much more secure in groups of 6 or more.

Although I do agree that cories do well on a sandy substrate, I don't necessarily know if there would be a link between the substrate and redness near the gills.

Do you happen to have a picture that shows the redness you are concerned about?

10. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Constantly dragging their bellies and chins on rough gravel can irritate their skin and can wear down their barbels. If he has a chunky substrate the redness may be irritation.

Or it could just be the natural coloration of the gills, a picture would be really helpful.

11. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

My corydoras paleatus are on sand and their gills are visibily red/pinkish, I dont think it is because my parameters are bad, I do frequent water changes, have a filter with a good flowrate and I also have live plants, plus the corys have been like that since day 1 and they havnet died... which leads me to believe their gills are just like that.
    I also dont think your gravel is causing problems.
    I looked some pics online of julii corys and it is not weird to see the coloration of their gills, but as some said a picture would be really helpful.

12. OP
    OP
    z

I appreciate all the replies, I will take a picture when I get home.

13. OP
    OP
    z

[​IMG] kind of hard to see in this photo..easier if you zoom in

14. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Looks normal to me

15. B

I agree that I don't see anything super concerning about their appearance based on that picture. Was anything concerning you besides the hints of red near their gills?

How long have you had them?

I would suggest switching to a sand substrate for them, or maybe smaller smooth gravel. If possible, I would definitely suggest that you get 4 more of the same type. That will help them feel more secure and can bring out more of their natural behavior.

16. OP
    OP
    z

Ive only had them for about a week. Will do I really appreciate all your help I am fairly new at this

17. B

No problem! Please feel free to ask any questions you have. People here are happy to try to help :)

18. pixelhoot

pixelhoot Valued Member Member

Hello! Just wanted to say that after some research, it looks like your Juliis are actually False Juliis! Nothing to worry about. They are still the same cute fish. You can read up more about your babies here:

Also we have the same dragon eeee! I love that set from Petco! I got them a little castle too for my own Cories to hang out in :>>

19. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Yeah, while I dont think you will have problem with that gravel as it is smooth sand would be better for corydoras, or dirt :D
    And I also agree about adding more corys, 6 is the bare minimum altough 8 and more are usually much better, tho some tanks may not be able to support the bioload so be careful not to overstock your tank.
    In a 37 gal with your current stocking I would add 5 more. And be careful about the livebearers because you will soon be overrun with fry if you keep more than one sex.
    I keep Mollys and I keep them separated.

20. OP
    OP
    z

thank you all so much for the feedback!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice