Julii cory with blue cheeks

1. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Is this a normal marking or should i be worried? Is my julii actually a different cory? The head pattern is dots instead of lines so i feel like i have true julii, is the blue just their insides and I'm seeing it because of transparency? https://vimeo.com/169982265 i really don't think you can see the blue in the video because it's swimming too fast. I just did a water change and then he started swimming all around just up and down the glass, back and forth. My other julii is doing its own thing. I'm not sure If the other cory had blue on it's cheek too, I've had them for only about a week now and i just noticed this blue.

EDIT: i tried to get a pic lol[​IMG]
    This was before i cleaned the tankhttps://vimeo.com/169984859

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It looks quite normal & it's a C.trilineatus, if you only have two I'd get a few more as they do best in larger numbers

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I would say it's probably iridescence on the scales.

They really need to be in a group of 5-6+. That black line is far too bold for a julii.

Edit.... ninja'd

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with the others + think about changing the substrate for these fellows.

5. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I only have 2 at the moment and was going to get a few more today actually. And slowly swap substrate. Will black diamond sand be ok? I also have snails and may purchase shrimp like amano.

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

That's great. I never used that sand myself, but think it is okay to use.

7. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Do you know if sand is appropriate for mystery snails? I have 2 in the tank

8. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I only wanted to add 2 at a time, im on my way to buy 2 more today. So will any cory go with another cory? Or do they need to be same type of cory? I got these from petsmart, im going to petsmart for the others but its a different city, ill probably end up with whatevers in stock that stays as small as these do.

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Can be short about that : definitely get the same species

10. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Ok thanks. Im sure their julii is the same as the other store, neighboring cities. Ill go ahead and try it. Thanks for your input!

I didnt do my research lol i was supposed to buy albino cory but i saw these ones and they looked cute so i got them instead :)

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know they are mainly carnivores : so no algaewafers for those guys but meaty stuff.

12. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

The wafers are for the snails but the mollies gobble at them and now their poop is green

Im going to try the brine shrimp hatchery, they will eat brine shrimp? I also have "floating pellets" that sink straight to the bottom i think they are eating those unless the mollies eat them too.

13. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Get some high quality Cory-pellets. On the wrong diet they will often show issues quite soon. They'll eat brineshrimp for sure.

14. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Best to take them up to 6 straight away. Buying them in twos just keeps them stressed. It's only a big increase in bioload if you make a big increase in the amount of food you add. Increase food gradually and you won't have a problem.

15. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

One of my new corys only has 1 eye!

They were out of jullii so i got spotted cory (at least i think) they look a little different than the julii but the julii immediately greeted the new spotted cory and hopefully they are all doing ok.

16. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I have a couple of corys with only one eye & they do fine, in fact they're usually the first ones to appear when foods around.
    Can you get a pic of the new "spotted" cory?

17. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Spotted
    [​IMG]

Julii
    [​IMG]

18. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like melanistius. Each species will need a group of 6+

19. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

This will only be possible if i return my new corys or set up the 55 gallon my neighbor is giving me and put the spotted in there and keep the julii in the current tank.

20. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Think it is a leucomelas.
    I'd swap them for trilineatus as advised earlier.