Julii Cory Catfish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by happyfins14, Jul 26, 2015.

1. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Hey guys! I'm planning to buy a 20 gallon long aquarium and get four guppies and three platies. I also want to get two or three shrimp. But I've always loved watching little catfish in other people's aquariums, and so started researching miniature catfish species. I think I'm pretty much set on julii cory catfish, but I do have a few questions about them, mostly because there is a lot of conflicting information on google, and I've received great advice from people here so far :)

I know that a lot of people prefer sand when they own catfish, to prevent damage to their whiskers? Can anyone verify that? Personally I like the look of sand, but I also want to plant my tank with anacharis, java fern, java moss, anubias nana, marimo moss balls, and maybe hornwort. Would sand be a problem with that or does it not matter?

Also, I hear that julii cories need to live in schools. What is the minimum number they would be happy in?

Third question: Would my tank be overstocked? I'm willing to cut back on the guppies, but I definitely want at least two in my tank. And I don't want to have any less platies. I really don't think it would be overstocked; the fish I want are all under three inches. But maybe you guys would have a different opinion. Remember, the tank would be heavily planted, and I want the aquaclear filter that someone on this site suggested. My backup filter is the Aqueon Quiet Flow 20.

4. Does anyone have particular trouble keeping these guys alive? I don't think they're beginner fish, but they aren't too difficult either, right?

And lastly, please tell me if anyone has a particular preference to a type of mini catfish, whether it be this kind or another. Thanks guys!! :;hi1

2. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

-Julis would be great for your tank
    -I prefer sand with cories because it is better for their whiskers. If you want you could have a gravel sand mix like eco complete. I have had zero issues with corie.
    -4 to 6 is a proper school for Cories
    -Two Male guppies would be fine
    -I have had zero issues with these cories,usually pretty hardy.
    -Cories are the best catfish for your aquarium.

3. OP
    OP
    h

Great! Thanks :) When you say two male guppies would be fine, does that mean I would have to cut out the platies completely?

4. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

Nope, they are fine. A good stock list for a 20gal could be something like..

3/4 platies
    2/3 Guppies
    6 Julies.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with the above poster.^^

1. Sand is best for cories, but I keep my juliis on gravel.
    2. Six is the minimum number, from what I've heard.
    3. Not too sure about that one, but imo, you'd be okay with a couple of guppies and your platies.
    4. I've only had mine for a short amount of time, so I can't say how hard they are to keep alive long term. But, I must say that they might have brought in a disease which caused a die off in my tank and I lost two glofish danios, both of my guppies, and two of the six julii cories that I bought. But I don't think it's because they were juliis, they might've just been sick when I bought them.

I've only had experience with corydoras as far as aquarium catfish go, so.......

6. OP
    OP
    h

YES!!!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for!! and i'm guessing a shrimp or two wouldn't really upset that balance?

7. OP
    OP
    h

Thanks so much BTWB! I was actually hoping you would answer because I saw your tank description and saw you have juliis :)

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have 6 albino cories. I've had them since April, and they're all doing very well! Haven't lost any!

I keep mine on sand because as every has mentioned above, it's better for their health.

Also be aware that julii cories prefer temps between 74 and 78 F.

Your stocking list sounds fine, but be aware you may want to go with same sex guppies and same sex platies. Both guppies and platies breed like crazy, and to prevent your tank from being overrun with fry, keep all males or all females of each!

Shrimp should also be fine in that setup, depending on which shrimp you want.

9. OP
    OP
    h

Thanks for temperature reminder. I'll have to buy an adjustable heater for a 20 gallon. Right now I just have a small one for my 5 gallon betta tank. And also thanks for the fry advice! Of course I knew about how guppies reproduce like rabbits, but platies I didn't.
    Thanks again!
    EDIT: And i want ghost shrimp. Unless amano are better?

10. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

All live bearers reproduce like bunnies, lol. I have albino cories and love them, they zip all over the place and are very entertaining. Ghost shrimp are often sold as food so if you get those don't be surprised/alarmed if some of them die off, they're sometimes not terribly hardy. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. OP
    OP
    h

Thanks for the tip :) My shrimp died when someone left the tank light on 24/7 for over a week while I was on vacation :( I was sad but not terribly surprised. My fish were fine and there was plenty of algae, but I guess the poor shrimpy just couldn't handle it

12. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys are best kept on sand as their natural way of feeding us to take in mouthfuls & sift it through their gills filtering particles of food, they can be kept on gravel as long as it's smooth & kept clean.
    Most Julii corys sold in Lfs will be C.trilineatus as true Julii are rarely seen, they prefer the temperature around 24C.
    Trilis are as easy to keep as any other corys, with good food & water quality & they can live 15-20 years.
    Keep them in groups of at least 6, the more you have the more natural behaviour you'll see.

13. sawchynegger

sawchynegger Valued Member Member

They absolutely love sand and it's much better for them. You could still grown anubis and Java fern in sand no problem if you dose some liquid co2 like flourish excel now and again. I would keep at least 4 but I've had 2 peppered corys for a long time before adding them to a tank with julis and pandas and the 2 guys were best buds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice