Julii Cory bubbles: Cute or a concern?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by kidster9700, Jul 5, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

So I just saw my Cory expel 'wind', or maybe not? I don't know if fish can even do that. There were little air bubbles coming from the anal area. Little ones, like five or six. I thought it was funny but then wasn't sure if that's okay. Seems like a weird thing for a fish to do. I know they burp though so I'm 50/50.
    What do you guys think? Gas bladder problem or a cute, tooting, Cory?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Do you have an airstone in the tank? Did you recently do a water change.? I never thought about my fish doing that lol! :) that's funny

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Nope and nope! He was just nibbling on a veggie wafer in the Marimo moss with the other Julii corys and toot toot toot!!

4. AquaticBrandon

My guess would be it was the veggie wafer. Maybe when you dropped it in there was some air bubbles on it. Then the cories started eating and toot toot lol

5. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Well this was after it was mostly crumbled so I don't think they had air bubbles left. But the veggie wafers may have caused the gassiness

6. AquaticBrandon

It could have been the wafers

7. Et tuValued MemberMember

If memory serves,cories will dash up to the surface, gulp/grab a mouthful of air. Somehow the air is then absorbed to aid in getting more 02. Now what happens to the excess air that gets gulped,. it's gotta come out the other end so now you have magical mystical tooting cories. That's my story and i'm sticking to it!

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

That makes sense! They do consume a lot of air...

9. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

You are correct, excess air is expelled & always makes me laugh when I see them doing it

10. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I've seen my big cory "emit bubbles" I wondered if that was what was going on, lol. How funny!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice