julie cory cat problem

Kaiseroll4

Reaction score
I have had my cory cats for a month now and just recently i found one of them suctioned to the intake for the filter. The filter isnt that strong and has never been a problem. Upon further inspection i found that my cichlids have eaten all of his fins. I immediatly took him out and put im in a quarantine bucket where he seems to be living well, but for how long is the question.

What should I do? I can't leave him in the bucket forever but he seems to be surviving just fine now that he doesnt have cichlids nipping at him.

Please Help ???

Kaiseroll4

Reaction score
I think fin rot might be a very good possibility because from when i got the pair, i could tell them apart because the ones fin looked like it had a bite taken out of it. Is this something I have to worry about my other fish getting?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just keep an eye on the others in the original tank for signs of fin rot. Because corys are on the substrate so much they are nororious for getting bacterial infections and fin rot if the substrate isn't kept especially clean which most fish stores don't.
If you can keep the one in the bucket for a few days drop a bubbler in and do 50% water changes each day for about 5 days then he should be ok.
what kind of cichlids do you have?
Carol

Kaiseroll4

Reaction score
I have a Kribensis and an Electric Yellow. The electric yellow seems to like to pick on cory cats now that I have been paying closer attention.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My guess is that your cichlids are just too aggressive for cory cats. African cichlids are generally quite aggressivedepending on the species. Darn! You might have to move the corys into a new tank of their own! ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom