Juli ID

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by lwill, Aug 1, 2015.

1. lwillValued MemberMember

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438451803.581834.jpg
    So I was told the little "girl" at the top is julidochromis dickfeldi but she looks nothing like her buddy under her. Any ideas if that's right or what she is?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. NympxzieValued MemberMember

Looks like a J. Transcriptus to me, how big is she? J. Transcriptus (masked julie) doesn't get nearly as large as other Julie species.

3. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

It's not even a Julidochromis. Look at the size of the mouth; Juli has a smaller mouth in a subterminal orientation.

Possibly a juvenile of some Lepidiolamprologus species from the mouth. Too young to say exactly which species.

4. NympxzieValued MemberMember

The mouth is odd looking, could it be a cross of 2 species?

5. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

No.

Okay, one in a million possibility, but Tang hybrids are extremely rare.

6. lwillValued MemberMember

It's only about one inch. It's weird because her mouth and tailfin look nothing like a juli but she has the blue fin tips and yellow on the eyelids.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438455960.622906.jpg
    Here's a better picture

7. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Several of the Lepidiolamprologus have those colors, as do some Neolamprologus. The juvenile color pattern is similar in several of those species as well, which is why I can't narrow it down with the fish at tat size.

Note that most of these species also get rather large when compared to Julies.

8. lwillValued MemberMember

That's what I'm worried about. Needless to say I'm a little miffed at the guy for giving me the wrong information. Also a bit miffed at myself for not paying closer attention, but he owns the fish store and is supposed to be super knowledgeable. why would I question him? So I paid $12 for it, did I overpay at this point?

Going through and looking at neolamprolgus, she kinda looks like neolamprologus buescheri zaire gold. Some of their pictures looked just like her. Guess I'll find her a new home.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice