juli corycat egg care????

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by shadowfish, Aug 3, 2015.

1. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

i looked in my tank and there where white eggs on the glass from my pair of juli corys...
    i dont know anything about raising corys or hatching egg i was not even trying to get them to lay.
    ok so my ten gallon has a guppies in it (will guppies eat the eggs?) and i only have one heater:(
    so a hatch out tank wont work.are the eggs sapost to be white and i need full care info.
    will the parents eat the fry because i can move the guppies out.
    oh and i do know how to hatch brine shrimp and i do have brine shrimp eggs.
    and how long till they hatch???

please help

2. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

did anyone get the (please help) part of this???

3. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Newly laid cory eggs are white, after 24 hours or so the fertile ones go a creamy brown colour, infertile ones stay white, if they start looking fuzzy then remove them.
    Some corys will eat their eggs & guppys will likely feast on them too.
    You can remove the eggs with a razor blade or if you have some moss, gently rub that over them & they should stick to it.
    You can put the eggs in a food safe tub with some tank water & float them in the tank to keep them warm, depending on the temperature they should hatch in 3-5 days.
    Once they hatch don't feed for 3-4 days while they absorb their egg sac, after that you can start feeding the bbs or microworms.
    Good luck, hope you get some fry :)

4. ReyesValued MemberMember

My Corys laid eggs last week and I now have around 70 fry in a netting hatchery hanging from one side of the tank with a moss ball. I tried keeping them in a separate container, but I couldn't keep the water clean, so that's what worked best for me.
    As Coradee said, if the eggs are still white after a day they are not fertilised, so you should remove them from the tank.

The adults will eat the eggs and the fry, but I just found a couple of older fry that must have survived somehow in the tank with the adults, so if the tank is planted and there are hiding places, you might get some to survive without doing anything for them. Just keep the water as clean as possible and start feeding them after 3 days, it's great to watch them as they grow :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  5. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

im floating them in a tupperware now.the eggs themselves are sorta clear but the speck/fry in the middle is white is this normal?i also added a drop of peroxide in with eggs.

6. abdennebi nhailaNew MemberMember

7. abdennebi nhailaNew MemberMember

About guppys they gives babys not eggs ok and Temp must be 22 in summer 27 in winter ok but you must put the femal in clinic box! to keep babys..good luck!!

8. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

my corys keep laying and i still dont know if they are fertile,i have 2 eggs in a container now (i saw them being layed) and i hope they hatch...heres a pic for all those pic lovers;)
    eggs.jpg

9. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

update:they didnt hatch... Coradee in an infertle egg is the speck inside white?

10. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Newly laid eggs have a white speck in them, if after about 24 hours the egg is still completely white then it's infertile.
    These are some of my newly laid cory eggs
    image.jpg

11. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

mine look like that when layed but stay like that...could you post a pic of some after 24 hours please?

12. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

image.jpg

The lighting on this one may have been a little different but I think you can see the difference

13. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

i found some more on my tank wall that when i hold up to a bright light the speck is a light amber color,do infertle eggs always get fuzzy after a while?

14. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

cory egg egg.jpgcory eggs laying.jpgnot laying.jpg
    the first pic is one of the amber colored eggs,the second pic is the cory that i have seen laying,and the third pic (the one with a black eye) is the cory i have not seen laying and may be a male.the cory thats laying is a bit smaller and thinner than the one thats not laying.also note that the black eyed cory is taken from the side of the tank and it makes him/her look bigger.you can see the bulge of the eggs on the laying cory too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice