Juli cory with pinkish irritation on fins and gills (threads merged) Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jpressley10, Mar 24, 2010.

1. j

jpressley10 New Member Member

I have 3 juli cories and I noticed that one (believed female) has pinkish color to its gills and fins. kind of looks irritated? i had changed my substrate to PFS about 2 weeks ago. Could that be irritating her. Couple pandas are showing signs but not as bad. My tank just recently finished cycling and my cories where in there during some of the cycling process. Any help would be great thank you.

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

Sorry to hear about your cory. Your substrate carries some of your bio load so you could be going through another cycle. What is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? Cories are really sensitive and don't do well in cycling tanks. Water change with Prime or Aquamil+(Spelling sorry) at least 25%.

3. OP
    OP
    j

i think i am going through a mini cycle. My reading for ammonia has fluctuated from 0 to 0.25 ppm the last couple days right now it is less then 0.25 ppm. Nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 20. I change half my gravel to sand then waited a week and changed the rest of my gravel to sand. i Just noticed the pink irritation this morning.. she hasn't been acting any different.

4. OP
    OP
    j

Oh No Pandas Are Dying PLEASE HELP

So i posted a thread previously about my juli cories having pink/ red irritation under there fins and gills. But now two of my pandas just died this morning. I have been doing constant water changes because i thought i was going through a mini cycle. i still have some ammonia but very very little less then .1ppm its only ammonia showing up. nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 20 ppm. Im not sure whats going on. I have 7 other pandas with no symptoms and 3 juli (with only 1 showing signs of the pink/red coloring). Could it be something other then the ammonia? is it some sort of disease? I don't want to loose the rest of them... any thing i can do? please help? has any one gone through this before? Im trying to get a good pic of them but the one juli with the most has been hiding for most of the day in the plants i have. will hopefully post a pic soon

5. OP
    OP
    j

Haemorrhagic septicaemia: I found this on the internet and the photos it showed are VERY similar to what im experiencing with my pandas/ juli. what can i Do to help or is it a loss cause?

what is this Hemorrhagic septicemia? I have been having problems with my cories getting red blotches under there gills and fins and have lost 2 already. I just found this on the internet and the photos is shows looks VERY similar to what the pandas are going through. Any cure? anything i can do? PLEASE HELP

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
  6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    could you give us a little information please? :)
    What are your water test parameters(ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)? What kind of substrate do you have. How often and how much water do you change? sorry for the questions but they will help us help you. thanks!
    Carol

7. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

Maybe a pick even of a cadaver fish, could be o2 starvation if red around the gills also bad water.

8. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

What kind of substrate etc. net 1 and take a pic.

9. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:animal0068:
    Your threads have been merged.
    Since it looks like the same thing and it's effecting cories, it's best to have the info in one thread.

10. OP
    OP
    j

My readings now after the 50 % water change done today is less the .25 ppm ammonia (very small hint of green) 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate.

11. Butterfly

Any amount of ammonia is toxic to your fish this can be causing your Cory problems.
    Carol

12. OP
    OP
    j

this is the best photo i could get hopefully it will load

Attached Files:

13. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:animal0068:
    Three threads have been merged, since this is all related.

It's best to stick to one thread. It's easier for you to keep track of responses and less confusing for the members trying to help

14. Butterfly

thank you lucy I was beginning to think we had a Hemorrhagic septicemia epidemic going on :)
    Carol

15. OP
    OP
    j

is that what you think it is? Sorry for so many threads just trying to get help. didnt know where to post it. Any treatment for this? i would hate to keep loosing my cories my husband loves these little guys

16. Butterfly

Yes corys are very likeable and sweet :) I personally think it's irritation from the ammonia. Getting that down and keeping it down will be the best thing for them.
    Since you've just put the sand in the tank it will need to be aereated or stirred about once a week unless you put snails (malaysian trumpet snails are best) in it to keep the sand loose. when I first put PFS in my tanks I used a drinking straw and poked it in the sand until my snails had built up enough I didn't need to anymore.
    The reason I said Hemorrhagic septicemia epidemic was because I saw three threads addrssing this and didn't realize it was the same person with the same problem. Sorry
    let us know how it goes.
    Carol

17. OP
    OP
    j

okay so no treatment right? just keep up with water changes to get my ammonia back to 0? hopefully i wont lose any more...

18. Butterfly

Sounds good to me but do keep a close eye on them.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice