Juli cory surprise....a new fish in our tank. And new questions

Colomark

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had some days away and sent the girls to get a bn pleco. They did and also came home with a fairly fun julii corey. The big box pet store said the corey would be fine with what everyone else eats. That seems not to be true from what the internet says and a few days in the vigorous cory seems lethargic. I have questions...

Does this cory need company? We do have room.

Im reading that they need smooth bottom, how important is that? We have small gravel (standard bagged stuff from petco) it isnt smooth especially give the juvenile corys size. What do i do here?

My mollies are pigs, absolute pigs. How do i get this cory (and my pleco for that matter) some food without the mollies just eating it all?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
All Corydoras need to be in a group of at least 6+ of the same species. For substrate, you want something that isn't too rough since rough and sharp substrate might damage the barbels. Smooth gravel or sand is ideal for Cories. As for feeding, you can feed the pleco and cories at night.

MelbourneGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a speck of the knowl that most do here so I’ll let them discuss feeding etc, and stocking loads. What I can say is that Julii Corys love company. A school of 5 or 6 + IME.

They’re absolutely beautiful cats.

Colomark

Valued Member
Reaction score
We have a 29 gal tank, is 6 of these too many for a tank with 9 other fish (mollies and platties)

Colomark

Valued Member
Reaction score
So even though they are false juli...still 6?
This changes my tank plan. Are 6 going to be fun and active or just hide? Its a really neat fish.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So even though they are false juli...still 6?
This changes my tank plan. Are 6 going to be fun and active or just hide? Its a really neat fish.
Trilineatus still need 6.

I got a mixed group of 10 cories (not recommended, best do 6 of same kind) and theyre the life of my tank. Hands down the most outgoing and in your face besides my danios lol
20191109_221657.jpg

I got trilineatus, peppered, weitzmani, and agassizii and my trilineatus are my most bold and will always be out and about

Colomark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok so ew questions...whats the best way to switch from my reg gravel to the ounded gravel without upsetting the tank?

Do the corys count the same toward total tank load? If ive got 9 and was working toward 15 that means corys fill the tank. Thats ok, just want to adapt to this curveball.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok so ew questions...whats the best way to switch from my reg gravel to the ounded gravel without upsetting the tank?

Do the corys count the same toward total tank load? If ive got 9 and was working toward 15 that means corys fill the tank. Thats ok, just want to adapt to this curveball.

What is the current stock of the tank? Size and temperature?

As for substrate, you can use a strainer to scoop out old substrate, then add the new thoroughly rinsed.

However id do a really good vacuum of the gravel before removing it, to cut down debris

MelbourneGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
False Julii absotluley still group and do better in larger groups (ime). Their confidence comes out and they tend to be more boisterous and become the life of a tank! I’m a big fan - I only have seven due to stocking limitations but would love a tank of 20+! :)

3BCCF34E-C1A0-41BD-BF67-017F7AF1E423.jpeg

FYI: not all but a couple of them foraging together

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
False Julii absotluley still group and do better in larger groups (ime). Their confidence comes out and they tend to be more boisterous and become the life of a tank! I’m a big fan - I only have seven due to stocking limitations but would love a tank of 20+! :)

View attachment 634931
Great !!! Let's call them (Real) C.trilineatus instead if False julii.

MelbourneGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh lord that’s a mouthful! And for those of us not adept at tongue twisters? ;)

I just call them my corys to be fair. Haha

I’ve just gone and changed the name of the YouTube video too!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh lord that’s a mouthful! And for those of us not adept at tongue twisters? ;)

I just call them my corys to be fair. Haha

I’ve just gone and changed the name of the YouTube video too!
It makes it easier to split it :

Tri = three
Lineatus = Lines / Lined

MelbourneGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I assumed as much. My Latin is non existent but my Spanish is pretty fluent. Tres Lineas kinda got me there. I prefer the “leopard” moniker. It suits and sounds more impressive :)

anywho I’ve hijacked the thread!
To the OP: either get more if your capacity allows or rehome? I think trilineatus (@DoubleDutch hey hey!) need to be in small schools at the least to be allowed to thrive. :)

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I assumed as much. My Latin is non existent but my Spanish is pretty fluent. Tres Lineas kinda got me there. I prefer the “leopard” moniker. It suits and sounds more impressive :)

anywho I’ve hijacked the thread!
To the OP: either get more if your capacity allows or rehome? I think trilineatus (@DoubleDutch hey hey!) need to be in small schools at the least to be allowed to thrive. :)
Oops sorry OP. Didn't notice.

JettsPapa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 2 of the false juliis and 2 pandas. I know everyone says they should be in larger groups, and I intend to remedy that at some point, but they're all very active and seem fine.

MelbourneGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
That’s a fair point. They are okay in smaller groups: they just “excel” in larger groups. It’s not like smaller groups will just fade away :)

I’ve also had mixed groups over time and never saw it as a bad thing :)

Colomark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Current stocking of my 29 gal tank: two lyretail mollies, 4 fancy guppies, one bn pleco one cory one female betta. Water temp currently 76.7 (curious why you ask temp?)

Hoping to add two more lyre tails or two bubble mollies (have had terrible luck with those) and maybe rummy nose tetras or zebra danio. I feel like the cory is similar in pattern to the danio so i dont think id do both. My goal was 12-15 fish not counting bn pleco.

FC86ABB5-5F93-4756-8A8B-FFC900A13115.jpeg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom