Juli Cory Red On Gills

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by casuk, Apr 30, 2019.

1. casuk Valued Member Member

Hi I added some jili Cory's last week and one of them is sitting alone at the bottom of the tank I noticed he/she has reddish colour on its gills I'm a little worried now   

2. RSababady Well Known Member Member

Cannot really tell from the pic, but has it lost its barbels? IF so, then it would indicate a bacterial infection. Can you get a pic of its mouth? Is it feeding?

What are your water parameters?

3. casuk Valued Member Member

I don't think he has        

More  

He has a friend now  

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2019
  4. Initiate Well Known Member Member

Those aren't julii corydora, the cory is fine most have a semi-pronounced red patch around the gills

Thanks

5. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Looks like from your test there may have been a miniscule amount of ammonia possibly from adding the new fish. How many did you add at once? Have you done a WC since adding your new fish? What size tank? It aslmost looks like your Serpaes had a slight amount of red gills when they photobombed your last pic. I think a WC will clear anything up and alway be sure to treat your new water with Prime. Good luck!!

6. Initiate Well Known Member Member

Those aren't julii corydora, the cory is fine most have a semi-pronounced red patch around the gills

Thanks

7. casuk Valued Member Member

I'm glad iv been really worried are they false julii

I added about 30 fish over the past month on top of the 20 or so I already had, in total around 60 fish and one razorback musk turtle in a 150gallon tank, a fluval fx6 and eheim 2260 for filtration, the last water change was on the 19th of April I plan on doing a 25% tomorrow I always use prime

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I agree it isn't a julii. I expect C.agassizii.
    But it isn't looking to healthy to be honest.
    It is too thin and personally think it shouldn't be that red. What is it fed ?

9. casuk Valued Member Member

Iv been feeding flakes some frozen bw daphia and brine shrimp, as well as some liver of above I do think they might be getting out competed for food as the rest are quick and gooble the food up fast, what would you recommend

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I'd give shrimppellets as staple and frozen daphnia / brineshrimp / bloodworms / aso.
    Be carefull with organ-meat. The proteins in those have proven to be (too) hard to digest the right way.

Could be these wildcaught fish have been on a wrong diet before you got them. Another possible cause is they might need deworming.

11. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

keep feeding what your feeding and add a couple sinking shrimp pellets to the opposite end of the tank and try to get them to sink while the others are eating. a good share of the pellets should make it to the bottom.

12. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Or crush the pellets to dust. Corys are magnificent vacuumcleaners

13. casuk Valued Member Member

Thank you I'll order some shrimp pellets, I have some hikari carnivore pellets and algae waffers, should I add a couple of them just now I also have some sinking turtle food I could try, he's not sitting at the same place anymore he's swimming about with the other 4 now

14. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

I don't normally comment on stocking but did want to say that you will see more normal cory behavior if they have lots of their own kind in there. To me there is nothing more adorable than a big shoal of corys doing their own thing in the bottom of their tank. If you aren't already over stocked you may want to add 8 or even 10 more of this same type of cory to this tank.

They are great at cleaning up any food that makes it to the bottom past the mid to top feeders. I always feed my corys their own food after lights out. During the daylight hours they spend their time searching for tidbits missed by my daytime feeders.

My corys get omega one shrimp pellets, Hakari Sinking wafers, an occasional algae wafer and maybe once a week, freeze dried blood worms. Some but not all of them will also dine on the fresh zucchini I keep in there for Elbert, my bristlenosed Pleco.

I'm not sure how many corys I have in my 55 gallon tank right now. There are way too many but they move so fast it is impossible to get a true head count. If I was guessing I would guess no less than 30. All but 6 of them were born right there in the tank. :)

15. casuk Valued Member Member

I'll add 5-6 more corys, I also want a school of 10-15 black emperor tetras too but don't think that will be possible with the extra bio load

16. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Try the carnivore pellets. Algaewafer are hardly nutritional for them. Don't feed the turtle food. Those again have other needs.

17. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

If it is an either/or situation I would definitely go with building up the number of corys instead of adding another school of fish.

18. casuk Valued Member Member

I threw one in and the serpae tetras decimated it I'll get the shrimp pellets and I'll buy some specifically for Cory's while I'm there, in the mean time I'll keep an eye on them when feeding

19. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Can't you crush these to powder / small pieces ?

20. casuk Valued Member Member

Yes I'll keep what I have as healthy, and as happy as I can, I'll make sure to add some more corys and wont be adding anything else for now