Juli Cory Cat Lying On Side??

1. B3tta fishy

B3tta fishy Member Member

haiii! I just got a small juli Cory catfish yesterday and she seemed fine. She was swimming around And being curious. Just this morning, she has been laying on her side and back and moves once in a while. Her gills are moving but her body isn't. None of the other fish so near her or bug her. I am worried about Luna and idk what it wrong with her.

Attached Files:

2. C

ChiefBrody Member Member

It's your call but you should really remove the sick fish

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

4. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry your Cory is not well! Laying on her side and back is not a good sign at all. In the picture, it appears as if she is missing most of her tail. Is she? Was she missing it when you purchased her?

Is she in the 8-gallon tank described in your profile? Unfortunately, that is too small for a Cory. They are a schooling fish and do best when kept in groups of 6+. Neons are also schooling fish. The 8-gallon provides a nice home for one betta. If you'd like more fish, you will want to consider upgrading to a larger tank.

Do you know the water parameters in your tank?

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Beside of that all the gravel it is on isn't appropriate for Corys. Looks as if it lost its tailfin as well?

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

How did you acclimate it?

7. april_fish

april_fish Member Member

Temperature?

8. Boots8

Boots8 Member Member

What is your temperature and water parameters. Corydora's are one of the most sensitive fish (in my opinion.) They need solid good water quality, and the tank must be cycled, or they won't make it even past a week. Most of them have lower temperature needs, as well.

Like someone said as well, did you acclimate her? There is a chance she could've been attacked by other fish. But, I'd recommend testing your water, most of the time it's due to water quality issues.