Journey To Breeding Fish

Mason Kent

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I currently have 5 angel fish, 2 Corydoras, 3 Adult platys, 16 platy fry (first successfully bred fish by me), 4 Gourami’s. I plan to breed all of these fish once they get old enough.

Platy breeding

I have 2 female platys and 1 male platy. A little over one week ago one of the female platys gave birth (the other one is still very pregnant).
The adult platys are in a 55 gallon community tank but the fry were moved to a 10 gallon grow out tank until they get large enough to move to the community tank and give some away. There are around 16 platy fry currently. They are growing great and are getting really good color on them fast.

66d851218b06503291f7a8b00121d26d.jpg
eb9c63eccbb54d2b7d22cbf6c02b7fb3.jpg

Gourami breeding

Currently I have 4 honey Gourami’s, 3 females and 1 male. I had some problems with the male attacking some of my other fish so I had to move him out. Moving him out led to getting a new tank and I’ve decided to breed them in that tank. So to do this I added a lot of hiding spots for the female and added her to the tank. I then added the male an hour or so later. The next day there was already some signs they were getting ready to breed. The female was huge and full of eggs and the male began to build a bubble nest. The day after this they began to breed. I will have pictures below. It took him a while to get it right but finally eggs started coming out and he got to work putting them in his nest (his nest didn’t work very good because the material he built it on). I then removed the female back to the main tank once they were done and she’s doing just fine now. It’s been another day since the eggs have been laid and I know have baby fry. They aren’t free swimming yet but you can see them wiggling around. They’re the smallest fry I’ve ever seen. Sadly a lot of the eggs got fungus but it seems at-least around 100+ have survived, possibly more but I can’t tell do the the material where he built his bubble nest. I know there are more that hatched than I can count, I got to 30 and there were still way more so I gave up due to the amount of them. I’m hoping that they all grow up and are heathy. I sill have to move the male out which I’m planning to do either later today to tomorrow. The fry are to small to take a picture of but I’ll post a picture once they are large enough.

0ffc9c8b7c4d89b2c6670ae4243a6cb1.jpg
1711bcb102e8d170f2e35efc6258c3f7.jpg

Corydoras breeding

It’s umm, it’s just not working out. The eggs are either not fertile or just keep dying.

Angelfish breeding

They just not old enough yet

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
t
Mason Kent said:
I currently have 5 angel fish, 2 Corydoras, 3 Adult platys, 16 platy fry (first successfully bred fish by me), 4 Gourami’s. I plan to breed all of these fish once they get old enough.

Platy breeding

I have 2 female platys and 1 male platy. A little over one week ago one of the female platys gave birth (the other one is still very pregnant).
The adult platys are in a 55 gallon community tank but the fry were moved to a 10 gallon grow out tank until they get large enough to move to the community tank and give some away. There are around 16 platy fry currently. They are growing great and are getting really good color on them fast.

View attachment 371454View attachment 371455

Gourami breeding

Currently I have 4 honey Gourami’s, 3 females and 1 male. I had some problems with the male attacking some of my other fish so I had to move him out. Moving him out led to getting a new tank and I’ve decided to breed them in that tank. So to do this I added a lot of hiding spots for the female and added her to the tank. I then added the male an hour or so later. The next day there was already some signs they were getting ready to breed. The female was huge and full of eggs and the male began to build a bubble nest. The day after this they began to breed. I will have pictures below. It took him a while to get it right but finally eggs started coming out and he got to work putting them in his nest (his nest didn’t work very good because the material he built it on). I then removed the female back to the main tank once they were done and she’s doing just fine now. It’s been another day since the eggs have been laid and I know have baby fry. They aren’t free swimming yet but you can see them wiggling around. They’re the smallest fry I’ve ever seen. Sadly a lot of the eggs got fungus but it seems at-least around 100+ have survived, possibly more but I can’t tell do the the material where he built his bubble nest. I know there are more that hatched than I can count, I got to 30 and there were still way more so I gave up due to the amount of them. I’m hoping that they all grow up and are heathy. I sill have to move the male out which I’m planning to do either later today to tomorrow. The fry are to small to take a picture of but I’ll post a picture once they are large enough.

View attachment 371456View attachment 371457

Corydoras breeding

It’s umm, it’s just not working out. The eggs are either not fertile or just keep dying.

Angelfish breeding

They just not old enough yet
he corries need to be in larger groups tp feel comfortable to breed

Mason Kent

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
f0231892b98478e25ccc2572a45c45a7.jpg
92e40e9ffd6f847672f3604378c88236.jpg

The Gourami eggs have hatched and there are tons of Gourami fry everywhere!

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats!!! Such cute little fry! I hope you have room for all those fry to grow out! Lol! (I learned my lesson with mystery snails on that note! Haha!) Still, breeding fish & having fry are a wonderful part of this hobby.

shiv234 said:
t

he corries need to be in larger groups tp feel comfortable to breed
I agree... cories are definitely a social species... they really need to be in groups of at least 6-7 (more is better), and I believe a species-only tank is the best way to get them to breed, although someone may correct me (please do! I've not kept them yet, just done a ton of research because I plan to keep them in the near future! )

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You will need the corries in a group and water changes w/ cooler water usually triggers them to spawn. I recommend conditioning them with frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

Those are some good looking gourami fry, I hope you have enough live food for them. They are a lot harder to feed/raise than live bearer fry.

Side note: I'm stealing your idea of using the scrubby for a bubble nest. My male betta was pretty bad at bubble nesting but he did manage to raise a couple dozen fry to free swimming.

Mason Kent

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Demeter said:
You will need the corries in a group and water changes w/ cooler water usually triggers them to spawn. I recommend conditioning them with frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

Those are some good looking gourami fry, I hope you have enough live food for them. They are a lot harder to feed/raise than live bearer fry.

Side note: I'm stealing your idea of using the scrubby for a bubble nest. My male betta was pretty bad at bubble nesting but he did manage to raise a couple dozen fry to free swimming.
Luckily I do have enough live food to feed them, I bought a ton not long ago and they’re doing fine, also the scrubby works pretty well but has a problem with the eggs and bubbles floating to the top and going through and getting stuck sometimes, there could be a possibility of them getting stuck but probably not tho, it worked great for me.

e8095721f90e5e58da2bd6435c75f0f4.jpg

Here’s a newer picture of the fry

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom