Journal: Restoring a 15 year old 55 gallon tank | Page 2

Discussion in 'MaddieLynn' started by MaddieLynn, May 6, 2009.

1. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

MaddieLynnWell Known MemberMember

OK... I'm going to (try to) reseal it today. I'll try to give updates!

2. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

Ugghhhhh! I spent forever making sure all of the dust & stuff was out, and taping it, etc. I got covered in silicone trying to reseal it. After I finally got everything done, I went and tried to pull up the tape that I had around the seams, like all of the tutorials said to, and IT PULLED UP MY NEW SILICONE!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure that ruined it.... Now I'm going to have to do it all over...

3. ≈ D ≈

≈ D ≈Well Known MemberMember

Don't bother with the tape. All you need is the silicone, a steady hand for a nice bead and a few plastic spoons to 'push' the silicone in with. You'll get a much better seal this way that will last longer than ones that are done with tape.

4. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

Wow - this is so weird! After the tape started pulling up my silicone, I quit taking off the tape. This morning, I went and took the rest of it off. It didn't pull up my silicone and it wasn't siliconed to the glass like the tutorials said it would be, either! I wish I had just forgotten about ot last night!

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

There is a tool that is used when you place caulking around a tub or sink. I'm sorry I can't think of the name of it but maybe someone will by the description. It's a small square piece and at each corner it has a different type of or size of edge. It's used to go over the bead of caulk pushing it into the crack. It gives a really smooth, clean looking seal. I think it would work great for resealing a tank with aquarium safe silicone. Good luck. You've already come along way. :) Hang in there! :)

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  6. Fishies-for-me

Fishies-for-meWell Known MemberMember

Well I could give you about 150,000 of them ...the rest you would have to look elsewears...lol I added two microscopic ones to a 29 gallon tank one time and when that tank was overrun I looked at my 36 gallon bowfront and thought gee a few would be nice in there...DOH!!! Now I have about 75,ooo in each tank...come get em...lol.

Make sure when you silicone that the glass is super squeaky clean...or the silicone will not stick well.

7. ≈ D ≈

I believe aquarist is talking about the Pro Caulk tool :)

The are other 'versions' available also but a plastic spoon (teaspoon for smaller beads and tablespoon for larger beads) works just as good and you can get a few of them from your local dollar store for a lot less than that 'tool'. With each bead you smooth over, just switch to a clean spoon and chuck the used one.

I have always done tanks this way - bar one - and they were still holding water after 7 years before I sold them. The one that did leak was a 20gL that I did using the tape method. That lasted just under 2 years before it sprung water. It is still sitting outside waiting for my attention :;laughing

8. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

Update:

I re-resealed the 3-4 seams that the tape pulled up and let it cure for 3 days. Then I hauled it out of the garage and filled it with water and let it sit overnight. When I checked on it this morning, it appeared to have a leak of some type, but an extremely, extremely small one. As in there was no running water or even drips. The concrete underneath the tank was damp, though, and I don't want to take any chances with it leaking all over creation when I bring it in. I pulled the silicone off of one top corner that looked like a good suspect and put new on, and I also stripped and re-siliconed the tank on the outside where the black trimming on the bottom meets the glass. I know, I know! I'm not supposed to do it on the outside, but it had been done that way when I got it AND there is no way I'm strippinf the whole tank and re-doing it AGAIN!!!

9. Fishies-for-me

Are you sure it wasn't just condensation that had ran down the glass and onto the concrete??

10. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

I don't think so - the oustide of the glass wasn't wet.

11. Fishies-for-me

The thing is that you let it sit overnight...the condensation may of dried on the tank where there is good air flow and what ran down would of soaked into the concrete leaving the wet spot...but anyhow good luck with the next test run...lol

12. ≈ D ≈

Any further news on the tank?

13. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

I've resealed the leaky side for - what is this - the 4th time? This afternoon it will have been curing for 48 hours. I'm going to let it go for 72 hours total before I test it again.

14. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

OK, bad news and good news.

First, the bad. The tank leaked.

Now, the good. I completely stripped and resealed it again. It's been holding water for close to 12 hours now with no leaks!

15. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

16. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's now been about 23 hours and there are still no leaks! FINALLY!!!

17. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

Make sure you carry the tank with 2 people. I did carry one by myself after it has been about 4 weeks holding water and I set it up to cycle and the same night about 3am I had about 25 gals of water in the carpet in the livingroom. Had to move the fish into a plastic container for another week and re-seal the tank in place and let it sit for another week. finally got fix with no leaks.

18. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

Big news:

I finally have everything set up! Pictures will hopefully come soon!

Also, I have not one, but 2 goldfish in it! We went to a birthday party and I noticed a black moor in a small tank. I asked them, "How old is your goldfish?" and they said, "I don't know. Do you want him? We don't really take care of him."

He/she has a deformed tail and can't swim very well. It's also very skinny and gets soooo exciteds when I feed them. Any name suggestions? I noticed it's not totally black but rather a chocolatey color, so I was thinking something like Dove or Hershey.

19. ≈ D ≈

I'm happy for you that it is now all set up, well done. :clapping:

20. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Will be looking forward to pictures :)