Journal: Restoring a 15 year old 55 gallon tank

Discussion in 'MaddieLynn' started by MaddieLynn, May 6, 2009.

1. MaddieLynn

MaddieLynnWell Known MemberMember

Remember that tank? The one I got for free?

Yeah. I figured out why it was free.

Besides the usual (filter, heater, tank. stand, etc.) I have inherited the following:

157,000 Malaysian Trumpet Snails
    An... ahem... interesting, and different, resealing job
    A generous quantity of rust
    An equal quantity of dirt & algae
    Several large shells and a "No Fishing" sign
    And did I mention the 157,000 Malaysian Trumpet Snails?

Apparently, someone had attempted to reseal the tank before, and they used a VERY generous ammount of silicone.

On the outside of the tank.

P.S. What do I do about the snails? I SURE don't want them in my tank, and it's illegal to release them... and I don't want to squish them...

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. SIRHC

SIRHCValued MemberMember

My god I feel for you, I remember years ago my family tank was overtaken by snails, lucky we brother had a friend that wanted a lot of them, but sadly we ended up killing a lot of them, nowhere to put them and they were multiplying like crazy :(

3. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

put a piece of lettuce in the tank and capture them...maybe your LFS wants them...explain they are great food for some fish...

4. Angela_96

Angela_96Well Known MemberMember

The resealing job could have been me... u should see my 10g right now where I thought it was leaking lol..

See a snail...... puffer eat the snail???
    Id get a few fish that liked to eat snails....
    And post pics.. :)

5. bettafish2816

bettafish2816Fishlore VIPMember

sell them on aquabid or on here, i'm sure you'd get plenty of people that want some.

as far as the tank, i'd put it outside and fill it with the bleach/water mixture for at least 24 hours, 48 if you don't mind waiting. you'll probably be doing lots of scrubbing, so i'd invest in an algae scraper if you don't have one.

6. ≈ D ≈

≈ D ≈Well Known MemberMember

Got any pictures? Especially of the MTSnails and the 'bad' resealing job.

As agabr123 said, there are plenty of people that want Malaysian Trumpet Snails (myself included in the near future ;)) because of the benefit they bring to any freshwater tank's substrate. Most sellers just ask the buyer to pay for shipping costs btw.

As for resealing the tank, get off as much of the old sealant - best with razor blades and/or a caulk removal tool. Clean out the tank; best done outside (I use CLR and a nonscratch pad then rinse off very well with a garden hose).

Reseal the leaking area with new silicone and use a glove over your fingers when pressing in the silicone or a caulking tool. Let it cure for about 5 days outside (make sure it doesn't get wet). Then a quick refill to test and you should be good to go if there are no leaks. :;th

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

Ok... PICTURES!!!!

The tank in the condition we brought it home in:

140.jpg

The overly-siliconed outside corner after I worked on it a little:

142.jpg

The snails:

145.jpg

144.jpg

Yes. Those are all snails.

You may say "Eeeewwww" now.

The algae:

147.jpg

The tank after I stripped the silicone and scrubbed it:

149.jpg

The corner with generous silicone on the outside AFTER my brother got at it with his pocket knife. Still a ways to go, but at least it's way better. And at least it won't keep me from re-sealing the inside. It actually doesn't interfere with the tank at all.

It's just ugly.

151.jpg

154.jpg

8. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

The stand:

153.jpg

Oh joy.

156.jpg

My new rust collection.

158.jpg

It's... er.... an antique. Yeah, that's it, an antique! Maybe I can sell it to a collector for $700 and buy a 200 gallon tank off of Craigslist PLUS get a wooden stand for the 55 gallon!

Or else get it sand blasted and paint it with Rustolium.

Here is where most of the snails are now:

160.jpg

I salvaged as many as I could. The rest perished in The Great Purging Of The Tank.

OK... here is a short story of what's happened:

Before:

139.jpg

After:

148.jpg

Before:

141.jpg

After:

150.jpg

Before:

144.jpg

After:

160.jpg

9. Amanda

AmandaFishlore VIPMember

YEah....those snails just sitting in the tank...kind of nasty.
    I have hundreds if MTS, but you would never guess that.

10. bettafish2816

bettafish2816Fishlore VIPMember

wow you weren't kidding about the snails!!!!!!

11. ≈ D ≈

Looks like you are doing good with the silicone problem too :;th By chance, have you used a glass scraper on it? I find they help a bunch as long as you change the blade often. Once you get to the 'haze' of silicone that you can't seem to get off, use acetone (carefully and adhering to all safety recommendations) and that will make it look like it was never there ;)

As for the stand, well if it were me, I'd get rid of it and just build a 2x4 wooden one; considering the antiquity and condition of it - but that's your call ;D

Regarding the snails in the blue tote, are they definitely MTS ??? I only ask as I couldn't make them out that well in the picture :oops:

If they are, what are you going to do with them (those that are still alive that is >:D )

12. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

OMG and I thought my 55 had silicone and more stuff to seal it when I got it. Good Luck.

13. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

Yes, they're MTS. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them... I've been sort f trying to sell them, but it's not going well. I could always get more puffers though!

14. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

Hmmm.... I tried the acetone thing (fingernail polish remover) and it didn't seem to work... any more suggestions to get silicone residue off?

15. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

The only thing I use to take silicone off is a razor blade. Is going to take some time but it will take it off.

16. Amanda

AmandaFishlore VIPMember

Are you sure the nail polish remover actually has acetone in it? Many are made minus the acetone since it's a poison.

17. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

It listed acetone in the ingredients.

18. Amanda

AmandaFishlore VIPMember

You can buy pure acetone, that would probably work better. Not watered down with perfumes & dyes.

19. ≈ D ≈

Pure acetone is what you need - available in the paint section of Walmart, Ace Hardware, Lowes & Home Depot. Get the small can.

You have to get off as much as you can though with a razor blade or glass scraper (makes things a bit easier); the acetone will remove the really really thin layer that the blade cannot.

20. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

Does anyone here know where I might be able to get 157,000 snails?...lol

you could tickle them to death....they hate it....use a feather.