Joshaeus's 10 Gallon Unheated Tank

Joshaeus
HI all! I am starting a 10 gallon planted tank. It was originally going to be an anabantoid tank, but now I am unsure what I am going to put in it...most likely something I can keep unheated and then put in a water garden over the summer. Here are the tank specs!
Tank: A ten gallon, of course! Seems to be an older 10 gallon...will get pics when I set the tank up.
Substrate: A half inch layer of black aquarium gravel (solely to prevent the fish from spooking at its own reflection on the bottom glass)
Heater: Possibly a generic 50 watt ebay heater depending on what anabantoid I choose.
Light: An ebay light with 2,520 lumens of light (grows plants fine in my sister's 10 gallon)
Aeration: A walmart air pump with a sponge filter attached
Flora: Water lettuce floating, java fern and maybe anubias, java moss, and hornwort underneath. Meeting with my aquarium club on the 12th, which could affect the plant listing.
Fish: Something cold tolerant to 60 degrees or lower so I can keep it in my zone 5 water garden over the summer.
Feeding: Pellets and live baby brine shrimp. In summer I will be culturing daphnia/moina outdoors for the fish and adding that as well.

Any thoughts/input on this setup? Thanks! Will keep you posted as it develops, including adding pictures once it is actually set up.

Advertisement
Fanuel
2 bettas should never be kept in the same tank unless they are spawning. Or you are going to do a betta sorority in that case you would need a larger tank. The male will harass and stress out the female.

Advertisement
Demeter
I’d not do paradise gourami. IMO they are too large and need something closer to a 29gal. My male was probably close to 3in and they can get bigger than that I belive. In such a small space you’d likely only be able to have one due to aggression.

Perhaps look into sparkling or honey gourami.

Joshaeus
2 bettas should never be kept in the same tank unless they are spawning. Or you are going to do a betta sorority in that case you would need a larger tank. The male will harass and stress out the female.
That only applies to domesticated bettas, which have been bred for fighting for centuries...wild ones are fine if they have cover (not as aggressive). Leaning towards the mahachaiensis now anyway...

Fanuel
That only applies to domesticated bettas, which have been bred for fighting for centuries...wild ones are fine if they have cover (not as aggressive). Leaning towards the mahachaiensis now anyway...
What type of wild betta do you plan on keeping? Some are very aggressive.

Joshaeus
Betta mahachaiensis. From what I've researched a pair should be fine in a 10 gallon with enough cover.

Advertisement

Fanuel
Betta mahachaiensis. From what I've researched a pair should be fine in a 10 gallon with enough cover.
Sounds good GL. Are you planning on breeding them ?

Joshaeus
Yep. That's the idea...the fry could even grow up with the parents, though I am currently planning to move some after they grow big enough.

Fanuel
Yep. That's the idea...the fry could even grow up with the parents, though I am currently planning to move some after they grow big enough.
Sounds cool GL. Also you'll probably want to move the fry to a different tank. It might get overpopulated and you'll be able to know forsure if they're eating.

Joshaeus
OK! My plan is to move the male to a 5 gallon tank, condition both fish heavily for a couple weeks, then introduce the female. Once they spawned, I would return the female to the 10 gallon: once the fry are free swimming, I would return the male. Of course, they COULD spawn in the 10 gallon, in which case I would have to move the fry

Advertisement

FriarThomasIII
OK! My plan is to move the male to a 5 gallon tank, condition both fish heavily for a couple weeks, then introduce the female. Once they spawned, I would return the female to the 10 gallon: once the fry are free swimming, I would return the male. Of course, they COULD spawn in the 10 gallon, in which case I would have to move the fry
Paradise fish are perfectly fine in a 10 gallon by themselves, and aren't that active and will live there happily. He just has to be there by himself.

Joshaeus
Paradise fish are perfectly fine in a 10 gallon by themselves, and aren't that active and will live there happily. He just has to be there by himself.
I'm going with the wild Betta mahachaiensis now, which CAN live hapily in a 10 gallon together. Thanks for your concern though

FriarThomasIII
I'm going with the wild Betta mahachaiensis now, which CAN live hapily in a 10 gallon together. Thanks for your concern though
No problem. They are from thailand, right? I think I've heard of someone doing a biotope with ember tetra and wild bettas. But breeding them should be an exciting adventure

Joshaeus
No problem. They are from thailand, right? I think I've heard of someone doing a biotope with ember tetra and wild bettas. But breeding them should be an exciting adventure
Yep...only half an hour from Bangkok (not a good thing, as Bangkok is steadily devouring their habitat). Ember tetras are not found in the same continent, much less habitat, but Seriously Fish has a list of fish found in the same swamps. Yes, breeding them WILL be exciting

Advertisement

Joshaeus
Hello again everyone! I set up my tank today It is nowhere near complete (doesn't even have a light, filter, or heater) but it's a start! Added 1 tablespoon of marine salt for the 8 gallons of water I put in to keep the mahachaiensis happy (if I decide to go for a different betta I will simply not replace the salt at water change time). Here's a picture!

0908180905.jpg

Joshaeus
HI again everyone! I have had a change of plans...an experienced wild betta keeper on this site has informed me that a pair of wild bettas would be risky in a 10 gallon, so I have changed my plans for this tank. Instead of a pair of potentially self destructive wild bettas, I will be keeping some kind of fish that can go unheated (to 60 degrees or lower) so that I can put them in my water garden in the summer for breeding and better health. Have any suggestions?

Joshaeus
I have decided on a fish! I will be going with a pair of Apistogramma borelliI umbrella cichlids, which will spend from about mid May to mid September in a 110 gallon (if the landlord permits) water garden. Here's a picture of A. borellii;

Apistogramma_borellii.jpg

Anyhow, how can I convince the landlord to let me have a large water garden? It is going to have a hardware cloth lid weighed down with concrete blocks and my development has no kids, so kids drowning in it is unlikely (also, it's only 20 inches deep). If a 110 gallon is not tolerated by the landlord I will use a 20 gallon flowerpot or round storage tub like I have the past few years, or perhaps a 40 gallon trough from the same company (that one might be too shallow...only 13 inches deep)

Advertisement

Joshaeus
HI again everyone! First off, next year's water garden plans; I will be setting up a 40 gallon water trough with a lid, water lily, water lettuce, and hornwort. As for more current news...the tank finally has plants! AND shrimp (which will eventually be eaten by the apistos). However, I failed to cycle the tank first, so I can only hope that the plants can keep up with the ammonia the shrimp and their food produce...getting a sponge filter in the mail in a few days. Here's a picture of the tank:

2A23E59B-CD7E-4C21-B258-1D39740CFCD8.jpeg

Fanuel
HI again everyone! First off, next year's water garden plans; I will be setting up a 40 gallon water trough with a lid, water lily, water lettuce, and hornwort. As for more current news...the tank finally has plants! AND shrimp (which will eventually be eaten by the apistos). However, I failed to cycle the tank first, so I can only hope that the plants can keep up with the ammonia the shrimp and their food produce...getting a sponge filter in the mail in a few days. Here's a picture of the tank:
View attachment 478771
Looks nice but if plan on growing plants at the bottom of the tank you’ll have to either reduce the amount of floating plants or keep up with them and make sure they don’t cover the top of the tank. Also what light are you using ?

Joshaeus
I was shooting for low light plants...java fern, anubias, mosses, etc. The light is a generic ebay light that is working well on my sister's 10 gallon.

Joshaeus
HI everyone! Change of plans...Apistogramma borelliI is not easily available to me right now, so I am going to instead go with Aphanius mento, a pupfish hardy from 36 to 95 (!). Anyhow, I have added more plants and spawning mops to the tank. Here's a picture of the tank, as well as one of the water lettuce at the top;

0920181311.jpg
0920181312.jpg

The shrimp I added to the tank are doing well since I added some safe start to jump start the cycle. They will eventually be fish food, alas...may set up a dedicated shrimp tank one day.

Advertisement

Joshaeus
Hello again everyone! Just ordered the A. mento yesterday. They will be shipping out next Monday

PonzLL
Now that's a cool looking fish! Can't wait to see

FriarThomasIII
Now that's a cool looking fish! Can't wait to see
I just realized you have a mass effect joke in your profile... noice. I'm excited for this 10 gallon build.

Joshaeus
Thank you! I am also excited...I was struggling with choosing a fish for a while, so I just impulse bought them last night. The seller only ships on Mondays, so it will be about a week before I get them in the mail.

Advertisement

Joshaeus
HI again everyone! Funny story...as you know, I bought some shrimp from my aquarium club to feed my fish (now the Aphanius sp). The other day I noticed two fish fry among the shrimp! Today I saw them again, and they are unmistakeably Heterandria Formosa fry...adorable, sub-centimeter sized H. Formosa fry will need to catch and move them before the Aphanius arrive next week or else they will be lunch.

PonzLL
How come I never end up with free fish fry lol!!

Joshaeus
They arrived! Two pairs of Aphanius mento 'zengen' with an extra female acclimating them right now, will get pics later.

Joshaeus
WOW...these fish are something else! Mere minutes out of acclimation and they are already fighting, exploring, and pursuing the shrimp. This may be the most shipping tolerant fish I have ever had

Joshaeus
...AND now they are hiding on me not what you would expect from a fish that is supposedly psychotic

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sergeant Pepper
Replies
Views
FriarThomasIII
Replies
Views
smileyshrimp
Replies
Views