Joining the Betta club

MagpieTear
I haven't had a Betta for many, many years, probably since about 1994 or so. Didn't realize how much I missed having one around, but setting up the 20 tall presented me with the opportunity to keep one again. Not sure what his name will be yet, he's only been home for about an hour or so, and I think he's a bit overwhelmed at the transition from a little cup to a huge home. Once I figure out his personality, he'll get a proper name. And some Cory friends, maybe some ghosties to chase around the tank.

65.jpg

Here's his new home.

66.jpg
20 High with 5 Tetra Water Wonders plants, a chunk of Malasian driftwood with a Java fern plantlet on it, and a rock. Once I can get a better light, the hood and worn out, noisy 18 watt florescent will be replaced with a glass top and a Coralife PC unit with a Lunar LED I used to have on my 55.

Allie
See they rubbed off on you too. I was betta-less when I first joined the forum...a month or so later I got Jasper.

I love his color!! A name will come to you...just watch him for a bit & some with pop up. ;D

King_Snuggles
Very nice setup but all for one fish?

valentine
I always liked the name chuck norris, or flossy

susitna-flower
:;sman What a lovely kid. Very lucky to have found YOU!

MagpieTear
Very nice setup but all for one fish?
Well, for now yes. It started out as the "quarantine tank" but we all know how that goes, don't we? ;D

It is still a very new setup, only having been filled for 6 days now. I used some gravel, and a filter from my 55 to get everything rocking and rolling, cycle wise. Once he settles in, there will be some Corydoras Stenocephalus added to the tank( I think those are the ones, it's a species of cory that is still fairly rare in the pet trade, looks a lot like a common cory, but with an elongated leading spine on the pectorals and dorsal fin.) I have a lead on a few locally from someone who successfully bred a batch of them locally.

LOL, Chuck Norris? More likely Steve McQueen. Steve taught Chuck how to be Chuck...

Actually, I'm kinda leaning towards the name Vinnie.

valentine
LOL, Chuck Norris? More likely Steve McQueen. Steve taught Chuck how to be Chuck...

Actually, I'm kinda leaning towards the name Vinnie.

Chuck McQueen

MagpieTear
Rusty James - Matt Dillions Character from the movie "Rumble Fish"

Rusty for Short

Barbrella
Awesome! He's a beauty and looks very healthy. He must be dazzled at his magnificent new home.

Just an FYI: IF any of those rocks or woods have the slightest rough spot on them, your betta's tail will get ripped or split. Mine just split his tail twice in his new 10 gal, and I was positive I had sanded down any rough edges.

chickadee
Very handsome fellow and welcome back to the wonderful world of betta owners. We love it and now I am sure that you remember what you loved about them to begin with.

Rose

MissMTS
What a lovely new boy you have! I always thought that bettas were overrated (shame on me) until I got one! Now I want more

Allie
Rusty James - Matt Dillions Character from the movie "Rumble Fish"

Rusty for Short

Blub
Hi!

That's a huge tank for a Betta! MalachaI has an 8 gal, and my (invisible) other Betta has a 3gal. (I'm trying to find one the right colour!)

What about 'Freedom' as a name? Or, 'MalachaI 2'?!

CapeKateskid
what a great big home for your betta! he s going to love it! ive had my tank for just about 3 weeks.. I love my betta sooooo much hes my first one. dosent it feel good when u take them out of those awful little cups and give them a castle?!
as far as a name goes I went with Fishee" for mine hahahahaaa its actually Fishee Love Me Do.. I'm a huge beetles fan and I love the song Love Me Do..
good luck with your new baby!

~Tina

chickadee
I really like other fish to watch but to own and interact with there is just nothing like a betta. They really want to KNOW you and love to be talked to and babied and petted over. They want to be the center of attention and have their wants and wishes known and anticipated. They love being handfed and pampered and they will pout and act spoiled and terrible if they do not get their way or if they feel neglected. In short they are very much like humans. They really think they are more like us and refuse to get to know the other fish as I truly do not believe that they identify with them. They are totally identifying with us. They just want OUR attention and to be OUR friend. They do not want to be a fish or anything to do with a fish and you will never convince them that that is what they are. As Michelle said they are basically a puppy in a fish suit. So true..

Congratulations on the Betta Mansion! He is going to be so spoiled...I know as I have one in my 25 gallon tall and each of my others have 12 gallons except for Ariel who is loving the Kritter Keeper right now for some strange reason and I cannot seem to get him to want to go back to the 12 gallon so the Kritter Keeper is his.
Your little guy is lovely and he has a great home and will love being there.

Rose

≈ D ≈
Nice one Mags The tank looks sweet and definitely 'homely'.

Namewise, Vinnie sounds good IMHO - footy fans may know why

MissMTS
Vinnie is a cute name

MagpieTear
Update, Rusty is settled in and seemingly a happy camper.

Drea
Yup, he's happy happy happy...see how he's "fluffin up" I love it when they do that. Thanks for taking good care of him....he'll give you lots of affection and happiness back!

chickadee
He looks happy and healthy and like he is loving his new digs. Thanks for sharing the video. It was so nice to see a healthy and cute little fellow loving his tank and having fun just getting to play for a change.

Rose

pamd
I loved the video! Thanks for sharing, and yeah, Rusty does look like a happy little fish!

LuvaBetta
That's a great vid! I'd say "happy camper" is putting it mildly!

COBettaCouple
He looks so happy in his big home! ;D It looks great! He's having a great time in there.

Are you planning on putting a cave or 2 in? They love those and you can find Betta-safe caves at most stores now.

MagpieTear
I doubt it. The goal is to replace the fake plants with live as soon as practical. I abhor plastic in my tanks anymore. As soon as the weather permits shipping live plants, I'm trading Mudhog some java fern plantlets for one of his ceramic roots, that should provide a nice hidey-hole...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FinalFins
6 7 8 9
Replies
Views
Lchi87
Replies
Views
NanaW
  • Poll