Jmaldo's Discus Build

RollaPear

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
All of the suction cup fish (plecos,ottos and cae) may eat the slime off discus. I have an Otto now that does eat it. Try catching an Otto in a 125 fully planted tank :eek: :eek: . Not happening!! Plus there are 5 in there!
It seems like a hit and miss thing with the suction cup fish? I've heard some swear against it while others don't seem to notice.

jmaldo said:
Have not noticed it, when I added them the Discus of course were inquisitive and tried to check them out. Just too fast for them. I was hesitant to add them since 84' is at the upper limit and they zoom around like torpedoes with jet packs.
They went right to work on the BBA, algae and biofilm "Great" cleaners. I have kept them before when I first started (see pic) and they grew into fat cigars.
They look stunning! Definitely something I need to consider as part of a cleanup crew at discus temps. I'm relying on Amanos at the moment because they're bomb proof.

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, they spawned a few days ago. Right after I got the cage ready today, I noticed the male start pecking at the eggs. I think I got the cage installed just in time. Thanks again for the idea coralbandit Also, decided to move them to the 29g.
Fins Crossed!

Cage.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The holes in that screen may be or become problematic ?
Not sure if it will impact the fanning but I don't see the fry getting out when the time comes .
I have seen most used a 'gutter mesh' you can find cheap atHD/Lowes to make the cage that keeps the parent out but lets the fry get out and flow in ..
1583074074709.png

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
:eek:
Meant to check the eggs earlier, but... Just checked and you are right. Got some fungus. Decided to remove and see what happens. I'll be ready with your recommendation for the next spawn.
Thanks Tom
Edit: Just checked less than an 1/2 hour, they ate the eggs.
On to the next spawn.

Learning all the Time.

RollaPear

Reaction score
jmaldo said:
:eek:
Meant to check the eggs earlier, but... Just checked and you are right. Got some fungus. Decided to remove and see what happens. I'll be ready with your recommendation for the next spawn.
Thanks Tom
Edit: Just checked less than an 1/2 hour, they ate the eggs.
On to the next spawn.

Learning all the Time.
And teaching all the time!

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Got this pic today, Dark Ram checking out the Starlight pleco in it's cave.

Dark Ram  and Starlight Pleco.jpg

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
nikm128 said:
Got some pots! First plants I’m trying in them are amazon sword, a crypt, and some Italian vals
Good Luck!

Right now, the Red Tiger Lotus, Wisteria and Amazon Swords are finally starting to grow. The Ludwigia rubin and Repens are hanging on but..
Not sure about the Vals, but still trying.
Might need to try the crypts.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lol, wrong thread. Meant to post this in the whole gangs thread. I love your dark ram by the way

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Been awhile, not much happening except...
:) Happy to report the plants are finally growing. I did have an issue with the tank water going green, not sure how it got out of balance. But decided to cut the level /amount of light and a few back to back water changes seems to have it under control for now. Hopefully, get/post some pics soon.
On another note, I did purchase a dozen Black Neon Tetras and a half dozen Amanos for this tank, doing "Ok" in the QT for now but still weeks away.

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, not the best but... I got the pic today after tank maintenance. As you can see I have growth. Whew! at least some of them, been letting them grow wild.
For comparison first pic 6 weeks ago just planted.

22320 55g.jpg

And Today, the pair of Discus are in there just hiding behind the large driftwood.

Planted 55 Community with Discus 4420.jpg

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What a difference, 2 weeks since the last pic. I know I need to do some "Underwater Gardening" the fish are running out of swimming space. But figured I post a pic of it today. Now, what to do?

55g Planted Community with Discus 41920.jpg

Also, just for reference here is a pic of when I started this build a year ago.

55g Nice and Clean.jpg

Whew, what a year.
Learning all the Time.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very nice!! So much better than a bear tank. How are the discus doing?

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
86 ssinit said:
How are the discus doing?
They are fine, they always hide and pout for a few hours after a water change. I did add a dozen Black Neon Tetras to the tank after 4 weeks in QT. So far so good.

Learning all the Time.

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like the plants really took off! Awesome tank!

OP
jmaldo

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They are doing fine, so far so Good. For the most part the majority school/shoal together a few will go off on their own. Also, the remaining Hatchets like to pal along with them. Will try to get some pics this weekend after tank maintenance and gardening of the jungle.

RollaPear

Reaction score
Yup, I can't wait to seem them but I'm totally biased in that regard. I've been meaning to ask you about this post

jmaldo said:
Just "Chillin" here with the "Blues" and not just fish.
Since the pair ate their eggs, just shy of wigglers.
Watching them do the mating ritual, swimming the tank, matching each others moves, a little swapping of tail smacks. And also, the quivering of their dorsal fins. Really, a sight to see.

And here they are

Blues 02152020.jpg
With my pair it's just the male that eats the eggs. He used to eat them as they were laid but in the latest spawn the female seemed to attack him when he went in head first for a snack instead of vent first to fertilize. She actually looked quite sad the next day when he had eaten them all.

I know the common advice on this is just wait, but I'm wondering if you have any insights you could share about their behaviour, I think it'd be fascinating to reach the wriggler and grow out stage.

New Threads